Mars is huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aditiudupa

I know all of you know this, but this is for those who don't, 27th August, don't you miss at 12:30 a.m IST, Mars is going to appear as huge as theMoon. it will look as if the earth has two months. the next similar event will happen in 2287. So........

D

derekmcd

It's a hoax... don't buy it. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Q

qso1

This hoax won't die.<br /><br />Mars would never be able to approach close enough to view as large as a full moon.<br /><br />I posted some graphics in the "Does anyone know if this is true????" thread over in "Space science and astronomy" forum that illustrate the orbital relationships. Mars won't even be anywhere near close to earth this year. Mars is on average, 4,200 miles in diameter. Mars gets no closer than about 35 million miles to Earth.<br /><br />Think about it. Do you know where to locate mars now. If so, do so. Actually, Mars should be visible in the predawn skies to the east or the other side of the sun (See 2006 graphic). Now think about it suddenly just crossing hundreds of millions of miles in two days so it can be full moon sized which it would appear at a distance of about half a million miles from Earth...Not happenin, God knows it would be cool if it did.<br /><br />Mars made its closest approach to Earth in 60,000 years in August 2003 and even then, it appeared as a slightly brighter than usual point of light. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts