Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulolearysp

So Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is launching in August.<br />How is this any better than Mars Express? In a lot of respects it seems similar. Just higher resolution and mineral mapping? It would have been great if they'd added a rover to this one. Why didn't they? Was it a weight or cost constraint?

F

formulaterp

MRO is the heaviest probe the US has ever sent or planned to send to Mars. It's pushing the limits of our current launch capability as it is. Besides taking more hi-res pretty pictures, it's data will be used to identify future potential landing sites. This info will be used for the planned Mars Science Laboratory, the next generation rover. MRO is also designed to act as a communications relay (along with the planned Mars Telecommunications Orbiter) for future missions, replacing the aging MGS and 2001 Odyssey probes currently in orbit.

S

spacechump

Also remember that Mars Express is best at stereographic imaging of larger tracks of area so it is good for overall global mapping. But it doesn't have the resolution that the MRO has in precise pinpointed shots.

M

mrmorris

Here's a list of the instruments on MRO:<br /><br />The spacecraft carries six science instruments, three engineering instruments, and two more science-facility experiments. <br /><br />Science Instruments: <br /><br /> During its two-year primary science mission, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter will conduct eight different science investigations at Mars. The investigations are functionally divided into three purposes: global mapping, regional surveying, and high-resolution targeting of specific spots on the surface. <br /><br />Cameras: <br />HiRISE (High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment) <br /> This visible camera can reveal small-scale objects in the debris blankets of mysterious gullies and details of geologic structure of canyons, craters, and layered deposits. <br />CTX (Context Camera) <br /> This camera will provide wide area views to help provide a context for high-resolution analysis of key spots on Mars provided by HiRISE and CRISM. <br />MARCI (Mars Color Imager) <br /> This weather camera will monitor clouds and dust storms. <br /><br />Spectrometer: <br />CRISM (Compact Reconnaissance Imaging Spectrometer for Mars) <br /> This instrument splits visible and near-infrared light of its images into hundreds of "colors" that identify minerals, especially those likely formed in the presence of water, in surface areas on Mars not much bigger than a football field. <br /><br />Radiometer: <br />MCS (Mars Climate Sounder) <br /> This atmospheric profiler will detect vertical variations of temperature, dust, and water vapor concentrations in the Martian atmosphere. <br /><br />Radar: <br />SHARAD (Shallow Radar) <br /> This sounding radar will probe beneath the Martian surface to see if water ice is present at depths greater than one meter. <br /><br />Engineering Instruments: <br /> Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter will carry three instruments that will assist in spacecraft navigation and communications. <br /><br />Electra UHF Communications and Navigation Package <br /> Electra allows the s

P

paulolearysp

thanks for the clarification! I just wished we didn't have to wait 5 years for the next rover.

H

henryhallam

I had thought MRO would also be carrying a laser to test optical communications with Earth? Or will this be on a later orbiter?<br /><br />Edit: Ah, google is my friend. A laser will be carried for demonstration purposes on the Mars Telecommunications Orbiter in 2009.

S

spacechump

<i>thanks for the clarification! I just wished we didn't have to wait 5 years for the next rover.</i><br /><br />Well here's hoping you have a lander on 2008 than.

N

najab

><i>How is this any better than Mars Express? In a lot of respects it seems similar.</i><p>Mars Express gives us the capability of finding the ruins left by the pre-explosion Martian civilization, MRO will allow us to read the writing on the scrolls, without having to attempt a landing (which would likely be unsucessful due to the high concentrations of HD energy that those sites).</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts