Martian ice caps

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dannyd

I recently read somewhere (here?) that it had been observed that the Martian ice caps were melting indicating that earth's global warming may have more to do with the sun's output than human activities. Can someone verify this, preferably citing a legit source, or shoot it down as B.S.? thanks - dannyd

H

harmonicaman

Like Earth, Mars has seasons that cause its polar caps to wax and wane. This 1997 study seems to indicate that the Sun is in a warming cycle and may increase the Earth's temperature by .72 degrees over the next 100 years; not a very dramatic change...

P

pizzaguy

I saw that article. But can't find it with a google right now.<br /><br />It was on a NASA or NOAA site - not a kook or political site. <br /><br />Beyond that, I can't help ya. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1"><em>Note to Dr. Henry:  The testosterone shots are working!</em></font> </div>

J

JonClarke

The south polar cap of Mars is shrinking with each season. The causes of this are known, there are several possibilities. Increased solar output is one. Short term natural climatic variability is another. Long term natural climate cycles (which are known to exist on Mars, as for earth) is a third. <br /><br />There is a nice comparision on the MSSS site<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts