Martians killed by Viking bio experiments

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MeteorWayne

Because we've sent probes to Mars to look for the signature of life; all unclear so far, but since it is the closest place in the solar system where life seems possible, it is worth a look.<br /><br />There are quite a few other places in the solar sytem that we will visit eventually by robotic probe where life is also possible.<br /><br />Just because we can't get there in person yet, doesn't mean we can't do research at these places.<br /><br />Besides, we probably can send people past the moon; we just can't afford it yet, or rather the human race is not prepared to spend the money for that purpose yet. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

R

red67

MW...I know this already. I just wonder why people are in doubt about life possibly being somewhere else in the Universe. I mean I know we have these test we can do from here and the rovers being up there(they weren't sent up for detecting life though this time..bummer), but when someone acts like there's is no way in hell there could ever be an inkeling of a chance they shoot it down..like it it some sort of toxic waste or it's going to kill them to even think for a second that there could be something else out there. What I meant with that comment was...How do we really know for sure?...what works here on earth may not be what works out there..i mean all the elements it takes to have life. There may be a whole set of different rules for life to occur out there.<br /><br />funding?...with our current Administration...what do we expect?...Don't expect much if we keep this pace up.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

M

MeteorWayne

You said:<br />"MW...I know this already."<br /><br />Yeah, but what you said (which is what I replied to) was this:<br /><br />"How can man debate about life anywhere else in this Universe, when he can't even learn to get past the moon with human space explorers onboard. "<br /><br />So that's what I responded to.<br /><br />"I just wonder why people are in doubt about life possibly being somewhere else in the Universe."<br /><br />I don't know that there's doubt, just an undeniable lack of proof so far.<br />Which is why I said we should continue to explore.<br /><br />"What I meant with that comment was...How do we really know for sure?"<br /><br />Well, we'll never know unless we look.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Excerpt from MeteorWayne posting:<br />Martian soil analyzed 30 years ago by NASA's Viking landers might contain life, according to a controversial new study that one scientist called "bogus."<br /><br />Me:<br />This is the reason I think were only going to be able to positively confirm life by having humans on site. An exobiologist that can study microbiological organisms if found which will get around the problems of scientists not being able to agree on what remote probes find. Even sample return missions may get bogged down by doubts if microorganisms do not survive the round trip and upon earthbound analysis, are thought by some to be simple chemical compounds. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.