Memorials on the Moon and Mars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spaceman1111

I was wondering does anyone know where I can find a list of memorials that are on Mars and the Moon?<br /><br />I am trying to find out the memorials for deceased astronauts/cosmonauts on them.<br />

R

rogers_buck

Some of Dr. Gene Shoemaker's ashes are on the moon. Don't forget that one...

V

viper101

I think most Apollo missions left small memorials on the moon - to both fallen astronauts and cosmonauts. <br />(sorry I have no list)<br /><br />Mars the Columbia astronauts are memorialized on Mars. Not sure who else. <br /><br />(That's kind of amazing, and very sad- to think about those astronauts on Columbia - from that day they launched in January 2003 - less than a year later, a plaque bearing their names would be sitting on Mars, who could imagine that?)

T

thalion

The only memorials on Mars I know of are Soviet pennants that were placed on (at least) one of the Mars landers that reached the planet in 1971 (Mars 2 & 3), and a "microdot" on the Viking landers that is just a list of everyone who worked on the mission written in microscopic print.

S

spaceman1111

Actually I am really curious now what features on the moon and mars are named after astronauts/cosmonauts. So far I have only found the Crews of Challenger and Columbia as well as the crew of Apollo 1. I thought there would be a bunch on the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts