Mercury has a layer of diamond 10 miles thick, NASA spacecraft finds

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
Well Mr. Lea, please write a follow-up article when plans are laid down for a Mercury mining mission; any of us with money in diamonds will be looking to sell early.

Jul 24, 2024
Visit site
Current technology isn't even approaching the thrust to weight ratio required to put a machine on mercury and return to earth, let alone something that can mine diamonds, collect them, and then return them to earth. Period.

Reactions: HugMeScared
Jul 26, 2024
Visit site
Current technology isn't even approaching the thrust to weight ratio required to put a machine on mercury and return to earth, let alone something that can mine diamonds, collect them, and then return them to earth. Period.
It's definitely not financially possible, but we could technically do it if we spent like... the GDP of a medium-sized country on it.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2024
Visit site
This title is a little click-baity; it implies a level of certainty that the rest of the article doesn't support. It's a really interesting theory though.

Mar 23, 2023
Visit site
I have a much less expensive, more do-able, and frankly more practical goal. I want to send a mission to Mercury to fasten a single 14 karat loop of gold to the planet's surface. The solar-system's largest diamond ring!

I can then let De-Beers worry about cleaning, and possibly cutting it. It'd be a 'dirty' diamond, but sometimes quantity can out-strip quality.

What woman would turn down the largest diamond ring in the Solar System? Though taking possession could present some technical problems for her.

Latest posts