Mercury Viewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cassini12

<p>So Last night just after sunset I seen the moon with only a tiny tiny bit in the lower left of the moon showing light. It was actually pretty cool looking due to it being so clear for once last night. however, Right below and to the left of the moon was a bright "star". I didnt have my scope so I didnt have a chance to see it up close, but now I read this&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp; "Then on Tuesday, May 6th, North Americans can watch Mercury make a spectacular pairing with a 1&frac12;-day-old crescent Moon. It's almost identical to the scene shown at right, except that the positions of the bodies will be reversed, with Mercury to the Moon's lower left. " </p><p>&nbsp;So Was that Mercury I seen with my naked eye? also, will I have the chance to se it agian tonight? (billerica, MA 01821) I would like to try to set my scope up and try to see it closer... Thanks all</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>-Cassini</p>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So Last night just after sunset I seen the moon with only a tiny tiny bit in the lower left of the moon showing light. It was actually pretty cool looking due to it being so clear for once last night. however, Right below and to the left of the moon was a bright "star". I didnt have my scope so I didnt have a chance to see it up close, but now I read this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Then on Tuesday, May 6th, North Americans can watch Mercury make a spectacular pairing with a 1&frac12;-day-old crescent Moon. It's almost identical to the scene shown at right, except that the positions of the bodies will be reversed, with Mercury to the Moon's lower left. " &nbsp;So Was that Mercury I seen with my naked eye? also, will I have the chance to se it agian tonight? (billerica, MA 01821) I would like to try to set my scope up and try to see it closer... Thanks all&nbsp;-Cassini <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Yeah that was Mercury, it is visible to the naked eye with magnitude -.033 (as of now). It will be setting later everyday but also gettin dimmer. Through a telescope it'll look lke our moon but smaller in a first to second quarter phase.

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So Last night just after sunset I seen the moon with only a tiny tiny bit in the lower left of the moon showing light. It was actually pretty cool looking due to it being so clear for once last night. however, Right below and to the left of the moon was a bright "star". I didnt have my scope so I didnt have a chance to see it up close, but now I read this&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Then on Tuesday, May 6th, North Americans can watch Mercury make a spectacular pairing with a 1&frac12;-day-old crescent Moon. It's almost identical to the scene shown at right, except that the positions of the bodies will be reversed, with Mercury to the Moon's lower left. " &nbsp;So Was that Mercury I seen with my naked eye? also, will I have the chance to se it agian tonight? (billerica, MA 01821) I would like to try to set my scope up and try to see it closer... Thanks all&nbsp;-Cassini <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Congratulations! You have seen Mercury.</p><p>You won't believe how old I was before I accomplished that.</p><p>You can cross that off your checklist, if it's clear tonight you can look again; just remember the moon will be higher in the sky, but Mercury will be in the same spot.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts