Meteor size

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mee_n_Mac

I was reading the LRO/LCROSS article (at SDC) and it said something to the effect that a meteor impact akin to LCROSS happens on the Moon 3 - 4 times a week. Given LCROSS is some 5000lbs that didn't sound correct to me. I'd expect that if meteors of size "X" frequent the Moon that often, they should visit the Earth (or at least it's upper atmosphere) at least as often (more so given the physical sizes and gravity well differences). I'd expect something that size to have a good chance of having something left to strike the ground. Yet I didn't think we got that many sizable meteorites that often. Do we ?

Or was the article trying to compare kinetic energies and the Moon (or Earth) get that many strikes / week from smaller (less massive) but faster meteors ? In the case of the Earth they fry in the atmosphere and don't often strike the ground. MW, please feel free to expound and inform ! :)

EDIT : link to article and quote ....

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... -moon.html

"Impacts of similar size happen roughly three or four times a week on the moon."

M

MeteorWayne

Yeah, I burped at that comment myself. It does seem out of line with the current meteor flux in my mind, but I will have to investigate to give a good answer.

On my way to dinner, (I ain't buying) so you'll have to give me a little time :)

My curiouslity is piqued about that stat myself.
MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts