Meteorite Madness

Hi there all you meteorite hunters. Is there any of you who would happen to know how I can get this historical changer of a meteorite classified? I have test results for XRF and XRD however I do not know how to read it lol true storie. Please anyone HELP

Reactions: Catastrophe

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
You say you have XRF and XRD results.

Fluorescence has to do with the atomic energy levels, and the peaks you observe on an XRF spectrum are due to the available different atoms and their electronic configuration. That's why XRF spectra give information composition, because you can correlate the emission lines with the atoms present in the sample.
Instead, x ray diffraction uses the wave/particle duality as to obtain information about the STRUCTURE of your sample, i.e. you may obtain sites and locations, or spatial distribution of the atoms. You may think it as a particle scattering process, or you may think it as a wave constructive or destructive interference, (an incident wave strikes a material, and each of its atoms disperse it). This normally has an angular dependence, and very basically the peaks you obtain on an XRD spectrum depend on whether you obtain constructive interference or not.

As I understand it, these give you the chemical structure and composition of the sample. Presumably you have seen this:

In this application note, discover more about a study that aims to demonstrate the capability of combined XRF analysis and XRD phase identification instruments for the evaluation of mineralogy and chemistry of meteorites.

Recently I had some of the specimen taken down to a lab in San Jose to have a XRD and XRF test ran on them however due to the complexity of the material and their lac of experience with meteorites they couldn't say it was in fact a meteorite or that it wasn't a meteorite in fact they did say they were positive that it wasn't slag.

Reactions: Catastrophe
I'd like to ad that another scientist from the Meteorite Times , I also call him the Evaluator because every so often the Pawn Star guys call him in to evaluate items. Now he was doing some test himself on some and he quoted "Tanya, there has been three new elements found on it" but for some reason they meaning Bob Varish, Jeremy Ryes from Alien Scientist and a guy a couple points away from graduating USC but still study's science /inventor were putting in some work with samples I had given them are not giving me anymore data.

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
I know Pawn Stars. I used to watch them. They buy wacky things, lol. By the way, I hope that you find something more interesting in the future.

Fluorescence has to do with the atomic energy levels, and the peaks you observe on an XRF spectrum are due to the available different atoms and their electronic configuration. That's why XRF spectra give information composition, because you can correlate the emission lines with the atoms present in the sample.
Instead, x ray diffraction uses the wave/particle duality as to obtain information about the STRUCTURE of your sample, i.e. you may obtain sites and locations, or spatial distribution of the atoms. You may think it as a particle scattering process, or you may think it as a wave constructive or destructive interference, (an incident wave strikes a material, and each of its atoms disperse it). This normally has an angular dependence, and very basically the peaks you obtain on an XRD spectrum depend on whether you obtain constructive interference or not.

As I understand it, these give you the chemical structure and composition of the sample. Presumably you have seen this:

In this application note, discover more about a study that aims to demonstrate the capability of combined XRF analysis and XRD phase identification instruments for the evaluation of mineralogy and chemistry of meteorites.

Wow! And with that being said yes, your persumtion is right I have seen it but for all the good its doing me. I dont understand a lick of it and that's probably why the scientist , Bob Varish, Jeremy Ryes and Brian Keough dont give me anymore of the data they are still going on to study of My own material.
In a couple of minutes im going to type in the elements and the atom % maybe someone can figure it out?
Before I do though isnt it true that a meteorite holds different compustion on different areas of the meteorite? Provided its large enough ? This is how I described its travel- The meteorite is hauling buns through space and its large fast and furious, anything even thinking of standing in its path he's like a steam roller and just hits it and keeps on pushing threw space now whatever hits him he collects pieces of almost like a trophy so come time for his final destination landing there he is with trophy's of events collected through out his self for each side of him has hit many different party's on its journey.

I know Pawn Stars. I used to watch them. They buy wacky things, lol. By the way, I hope that you find something more interesting in the future.
lol I dont watch it the only time I ever even watch any television is in passing or when I go sit with my mother and sister, they are TV fanatics. I'd rather be outside

Last edited by a moderator:

Catastrophe

First, do you know what type of meteorite it is?
The options are:
Stony. These are literally stones, but they can have different compositions.
(I am a Chemical Engineer, by the way).
Was this meteorite seen to land?
This is important. Stony meteorites look just like, well, stones. You could walk by one and not recognise it. If it is seen landing it is better identified.
Metallic (Iron). These are mostly iron with various amounts of nickel. They are easier to identify.
Stony iron. These are comparatively rare.
Some description would help to kick off.

Hi okay im back I found one of many test that have the elements and atoms here they are.

Fe 40.080581
C 28.016885
O 24.565467
Si 4.9722896
Al 0.7547184
Mn 0.597386
P 0.3551852
Na 0.2015321
S 0.1730469
V 0.0568309
Cl 0.0497551
Ti 0.044513
Ni 0.0304291
K 0.0291747
Cr 0.0229835
Co 0.0203866
Cu 0.0108424

Im not sure what kind of meteorite it is because the man from the lab said they were scratching there heads about it they were for sure it was not slag but thre are things in it that they didnt know what they were

Catastrophe

OK the first thing is the iron, just over 40%. Strange the nickel is so low.
Could be you have a stony iron which come roughly 50/50.
Si (silicon) looks very low for a stony, again suggesting you have a stony iron.
When you say large, does it weigh more than 1 lb?
Do you have a photo? Again, do you know how/when it was found?

Im not sure what kind of meteorite it is because the man from the lab said they were scratching there heads about it they were for sure it was not slag but thre are things in it that they didnt know what they were
Looking at your analysis are the biggest items iron (Fe) and Nickel (Ni)?

That will obviously tell us iron or stony type.
Yes the largest is Fe, were you able to see the elements and atoms i just posted.
one of the scientist were saying it was a quasi crystal

It came from my father who was a Sherrif for Los Angeles. He has now past away since 2006 . I always thought he was strange having it on top of a tarp until one day about three years ago I walked past it with one of those magnets on a stick and it stuck to it on accident thats when I started looking into what kind of ugly rock sticks to a mgnet and thats when this whole journey began

Catastrophe

It came from my father who was a Sherrif for Los Angeles. He has now past away since 2006 . I always thought he was strange having it on top of a tarp until one day about three years ago I walked past it with one of those magnets on a stick and it stuck to it on accident thats when I started looking into what kind of ugly rock sticks to a mgnet and thats when this whole journey began
OK then it is definitely iron, probably stony iron. What weight?

Latest posts