Micro universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Badger5149

As a lay person with no background in physics I would like to ask a question. Are there currently any studdies going on that entertain the possibility of micro universes, so small they could pass through one of our atoms without even being aware of their existence. For some reason in my advancing age I have found myself with more time to ponder these things, I hope I am not getting senile. It would seem that these micro universes would go through all the phases ours has but do all this in an instant and then be gone. The more I think about it the more I start to think that only energy exists. I guess I am looking for a book on this subject that would use layman terms as much as possible. Steve

D

darkmatter4brains

As far as I know, microuniverses are not being seriously considered anywhere.

I'd recommend 3 authors to read. You could start with Stephen Hawkings classic book A brief History of Time. Already a little outdated, but a good read. Also, Brian Green's books, especially The Fabric of the Cosmos, or something like that, would be good. Then maybe some of Michio Kaku's books.

Between these guys you will get good coverage on all the reasonable and major ideas/theories that are being considered by physicists today.

B

Badger5149

Thanks for the reply, I have been reading and enjoying all the threads here. I just wish I was able to contribute something. Steve

W

weeman

Badger5149":3pxcfto0 said:
Thanks for the reply, I have been reading and enjoying all the threads here. I just wish I was able to contribute something. Steve

Spend some time on this board and you'll begin to learn a lot more, thus being able to contribute more! There's plenty of physicists, rocket scientists, and astronomers who float around on this board who are pretty good at explaining cosmological concepts.

I don't know much about micro universes, but the same idea falls within the realm of string theory, since string theory deals a lot with multiple dimensions that are curled up into the tiniest, most inconceivable forms.

I'm a firm believer in the idea that things are not always what they seem, which is why I've always been so fascinated with cosmology. Micro universes can certainly exist; of course, then the question arises: Is our universe itself a micro universe to an even greater system of universes?

B

Badger5149

Thank you Weeman, I have spent the last several hours reading up on string theories and god knows what else. I feel like a kid in a candy shop all of a sudden. The think about micro and macro universes that facinates me most is that we are so sperated by time that for all intents and purposes they don't really exist. I was relieved to hear that matter and energy are essentialy the same thing as intuitively I kind of felt that. My real interest in physics actually relates to bows and arrows, my quest has been to build the fastest most efficient bows, I have had some success here. Being able to scale them up and down not only on the size and power but also on a molecular level is a facination of mine and has helped me greatly in understanding them. I would like to start studying math and physics although I might be a bit too old to really master it. I was a math prodigy as a youngster but by the time I was twelve I was off with the wrong crowd and rest is history hopefully. Steve

G

grokme

Steve,

I too have considered picking up math. I was no prodigy. However, as I got into adulthood, I found that I was understanding math more easily than I did when I was younger. I started taking computer courses and became a computer programmer. Now, at age 40 I think that my mind has become more logical, and that math would make more sense to me. I sense that you are probably older than 40, but don't you think that continuing to learn is the key to staying young in your mind? I am constantly learning a second language because I think it helps with keeping the brain active.

B

Badger5149

Grokme, I am 62 now. math skills have definitely waned some but I seem to have more patience and fortitude that might help out. I would advise you go a head and start learning, you wont regret it. Steve

W

weeman

I've had to re-ignite my math skills to graduate as an undergrad. I must say, it's not easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts