Midnight - Dr Who (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonClarke

<p>Has anyone else watched this episode? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_(Doctor_Who)</p><p>I saw it on Sunday.&nbsp; It was brilliant.&nbsp; A very simple idea, chilling, well executed. And very innovative too.</p><p>The Doctor rendered powerless.&nbsp; A locked room drama.&nbsp; Human pyschology and sociology under pressure.&nbsp; Self sacrifice by a namless individual </p><p>Any other comments?</p><p>Jon</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

L

lildreamer

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Has anyone else watched this episode? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_(Doctor_Who)I saw it on Sunday.&nbsp; It was brilliant.&nbsp; A very simple idea, chilling, well executed. And very innovative too.The Doctor rendered powerless.&nbsp; A locked room drama.&nbsp; Human pyschology and sociology under pressure.&nbsp; Self sacrifice by a namless individual Any other comments?Jon <br />Posted by jonclarke</DIV></p><p>It was refreshing to see the Doctor actually in an episode where he was utterly not in control.&nbsp; What I mean by that he has a way instilling the belief he's capable of doing anything - and taking charge. But his usual blanket statements he gave didn't work - the people turned on him....also its an episode where the Doctor had know idea who or what the creature or entity was...totally clueless...nice...</p><p>very edgy at that point and I like the very ending with Donna and Him - it really gave a sense that they were a team, and the Doctor really opening up - good facial expressions...</p><p>Wait till the season finale and let us know what you think of it....</p><p>going nutty just waiting for the next season to start which won't be until late 2009 or 2010 I think.....</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

C

CalliArcale

<p>I'm so glad to find other people who liked Midnight!&nbsp; Hubby was okay with it, but my mom *hated* it.&nbsp; She was upset that there was no "monster".&nbsp; Well, there was, but the monster was *us*.&nbsp; She was expecting some special effects, I guess, but personally I've always preferred psychological terror to cool FX anyday.&nbsp; Take "Silence in the Library".&nbsp; Well, it did have a great visual monster in the skeleton in a suit, but the real menace was invisibly tiny.</p><p>The monster in this was, in a sense, ourselves.&nbsp; Locked in a room with a bunch of strangers, unable to see the outside, aware of a nameless, formless menace that had just killed two people and now seemed to be taking up residence inside someone's head . . . .&nbsp; How do people behave in that situation?&nbsp; Would people stay level-headed and rational, like the Doctor?&nbsp; Would they take that risk?&nbsp; What if there was a chance, however tiny, that the menace could be eliminated just by chucking one person out into the lethal sunlight on this planet?&nbsp; Would it be worth killing an unfamiliar woman for the chance to save yourselves, especially if you felt she might be doomed already anyway?</p><p>Fear changes the equation for most of us.&nbsp; It was a very good episode, and powerful. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Take "Silence in the Library".&nbsp; Well, it did have a great visual monster in the skeleton in a suit, but the real menace was invisibly tiny. <br />Posted by CalliArcale</DIV></p><p>The two Library episodes in my opinion rank as one of the best Dr Who Episodes ever.&nbsp; Certainly of the "new" series.&nbsp; Absolutely Brilliant!&nbsp; A very rather tired of endlessly recycled Cypermen and Daleks,&nbsp; definitely over the Master.&nbsp; But Silience in the Library and Midnight show some brilliant new ideas, creative daring, and execution.</p><p>Jon<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

K

kelvinzero

<p>(huge plot spoilers! Dont read if you havent seen it yet)</p><p>I thought it was very good.. but it did have some flaws.</p><p>One flaw was the horror movie flaw where people do something silly to advance the plot. The doctors plan of huddling down one end and keeping quiet seemed an attractive one to me. The hysterical women that cant shut up and blustery men that cant shut up was overdone. In some circumstances humans will panic and bluster. I dont think that was one of them. It was more a 'there is a predator sniffing at our cave entrance' scenario. The instinct is to huddle and speak in whispers... which would have been more creepy, with their whispers echoed back.</p><p>Secondly, the evil, whatever it was, should not have smirked or otherwise advertised its dishonesty. If at that point in the plot it had to identify itself as the bad guy, perhaps all expression should have dropped away as though the strings were cut whenever unobserved. The actress should never have played a villain but always played a terrified woman with utter sincerity. Then we could believe the group would rally to sacrifice a stranger to protect a woman.</p><p>An alternative I think would have worked quite well was if this particular episode had been directed so that if you did not know the series, you would truely not have any clue the doctor was the main character, or be 100% sure the right one had been thrown out the door until the epilog portion where he is talking to Donna.</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.