mission from late 50's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

usn_skwerl

there was a rocket launch i saw on tv years and years ago, and a short clip of the same launch a couple months back on NTV, but cant find good info by googling.<br /> <br />what program or rocket was it that had a rotating upper stage? im sure it was unmanned, but not 100% sure. what was its payload, and/or task?<br /><br />thanks.....if mods see it fit, feel free to delete this after a day or two. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

henryhallam

Many of the early satellites and upper stages were spin-stabilised (indeed some still are, but perhaps not quite as many now that we have cheaper AD&C).<br />Perhaps you are thinking of Explorer 1, the USA's first successful satellite launch, which led to the discovery of the Van Allen belts.

U

usn_skwerl

Explorer seems to be the one. i remember the black tracking mark on the payload/upper stage. i just remember thinking as a kid "it really IS dangerous to be an astronaut!" ..my opinion hasnt changed to this day.<br /><br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHYyzLu1Gew<br /><br />thanks for the help guys! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts