MMU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drpl

Has the Manned Maneuvering Unit been used since the Challenger disaster?

B

bad_drawing

I don't believe so. It was deemed to risky after the Challenger accident. <br /><br />Here's a link:<br />http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manned_Maneuvering_Unit<br /><br />This following excerpt from the wikipedia article was really interesting. It's about an attempt to retrieve the Solar Maximum Mission sattelite. I don't recall this at all... Probably because I was just a little kid at the time it happened. Sounds like a close one!<br /><br />"...Two months later during mission STS-41-C, astronauts James van Hoften and George Nelson attempted to use the MMU to capture the Solar Maximum Mission satellite and to bring it into the orbiter's payload bay for repairs and servicing.The plan was to use an astronaut piloted MMU to grapple the SMM, null its rotation rates, and fly it into the Shuttle's payload bay for stowage. But the satellite rotation rates made it impossible for the astronaut's grapple fixture to snare the SMM. This led to an improvised plan which nearly ended the satellite's mission. The improvisation had the MMU astronaut use his hands to grab hold of a SMM solar array and null the rates by a push from MMU's thrusters. Instead, this attempt induced higher rates and in multiple axes; the satellite was tumbling out of control and quickly losing battery life. SMM Operations Control Center engineers shutdown all non-essential SMM subsystems and with a bit of luck were able to recover the SMM minutes before total failure. The ground support engineers then stabilized the satellite and nulled its rotation rates for capture with the orbiter's robotic arm, the SRMS. This proved to be a much better plan. Their successful work increased the lifespan of the satellite. "<br /><br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts