MODS - problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

MODS: why can't I delete threads? Every time I try it goes to the confirmation page, then when I click to proceed it tells me I can't delete threads. This was such a thread so if you can check its history I'd appreciate it.

The whole thing started when I tried to rename the thread, which spawned a new thread with the new name and left the old one which I tried to delete. WTH?

Y

yevaud

Wow, that sounds almost like on of those old "Infopoop" problems we used to get.

My guess? Sounds like for some reason the system thought the thread was locked or in the process of being moved, so it spawned a separate thread.

Edit: I wonder if for some reason, DH has the ability to delete threads locked, except for Mods and Admins? I'll have to ask.

What thread is it, btw?

R

R1

(Also, while mods. are at it, I wonder if this thread could be moved to the UserTalkback subforum at
the very top. Others may benefit from it--though I have not encountered such problem.)

I do assume this is about deleting a post, correct? Not a thread.
I don't think people can delete threads, just one post at a time.

Not that it may matter much, but just in case...
Could this be as a result of having another window currently open with the same thread?
Could there be an option to select under forum settings to permit thread editing and deletion that I'm not aware of?

D

doublehelix

docm":7lmnxm3r said:
MODS: why can't I delete threads? Every time I try it goes to the confirmation page, then when I click to proceed it tells me I can't delete threads.

doc, are you trying to delete your own posts or a thread? Is this a thread that has only one post in it - your own?

I did a little research, and it looks like only mods and admins can delete threads. I don't see anything in the permissions or board set up indicating a permission to set for thread deletion for regular users. You are set up via permissions to delete your own posts.

Sounds like if you want to delete a thread, you'll need to have an admin or mod do it.

-dh

P.S. I moved the thread to Community Talkback, leaving a forwarding shadow topic in FS.

S

Smersh

What happens if a thread only contains one post (the op) and the thread starter deletes his/her one post? Wouldn't that delete the thread as well?

D

doublehelix

Smersh":2g1wpos2 said:
What happens if a thread only contains one post (the op) and the thread starter deletes his/her one post? Wouldn't that delete the thread as well?

You'd think so! Perhaps give it a try? :cool:

-dh

A

a_lost_packet_

doublehelix":g4qc03pb said:
Smersh":g4qc03pb said:

-dh

It "should" just leave the replying post, right? At least, I hope so.

S

Smersh

doublehelix":2l9zkyl9 said:
Smersh":2l9zkyl9 said:

-dh

Hi dh sorry for the delay, but for everyone's info I just tried that with a thread in Free Space that I started in error and wanted to get rid of. When I deleted the only post in the thread (my op) the whole thread was deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.