Moon destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PiotrSatan

Hey umm, so yeah I have a question about moon.
So, if we colonized it, terraformed it and put alot of biomass on it, could it actually collapse or sort of implode or react anyhow?
How about if we made little explosions on moon, in order to make underground cities to hide from radiation, would it spread on pieces and just keep orbiting Earth or, if not, what would it do?

5hot6un

It would keep doing what it is doing now. If we covered it in thick vegetation and sent millions to live there, the total change in the mass of the moon would still be very small. So it will just keep on doing what it is doing now.

M

MeteorWayne

PiotrSatan":1chkx4sw said:
So, if we colonized it, terraformed it and put alot of biomass on it, could it actually collapse or sort of implode or react anyhow?
How about if we made little explosions on moon, in order to make underground cities to hide from radiation, would it spread on pieces and just keep orbiting Earth or, if not, what would it do?

This does not belong in Physics. When I decide on the best place, it will be moved.
The moon cannot be terraformed.
No it would not collapse or implode.
If the explosions were underground, there would be no pieces to go anywhere.

S

Shpaget

Did Earth fall apart after underground nuclear tests?
Moon is a big place. It would take a lot of effort to blow it up.

Moon is not hollow, so it can't collapse or implode. As for reaction, it's giant piece of dead rock. Rocks aren't too reactive.

P

PiotrSatan

MeteorWayne":1o03eel4 said:
PiotrSatan":1o03eel4 said:

This does not belong in Physics. When I decide on the best place, it will be moved.
The moon cannot be terraformed.
No it would not collapse or implode.
If the explosions were underground, there would be no pieces to go anywhere.

It *does* belong in physics because I asked about possibility destruction which is physical reaction, and I also asked about biomass which would be physical unit. If not then prove me wrong.
@topic
And whyyyy cannot it be terraformed? It's not like its impossible or anything.

N

neuvik

PiotrSatan":zpjr35mj said:
It *does* belong in physics because I asked about possibility destruction which is physical reaction, and I also asked about biomass which would be physical unit. If not then prove me wrong.
@topic

Terraforming is not a topic of Physics. It is purely a science fiction novelty. There is no science behind it and little description on how such a event would progress. It simply states your initial state...a planet unfit for human life...and the end state...a planet fit for human life. There is nothing to support how you get from the initial to the end state....so yes, it is impossible.

P

PiotrSatan

neuvik":yn1x0hyu said:
PiotrSatan":yn1x0hyu said:
@topic

Terraforming is not a topic of Physics. It is purely a science fiction novelty. There is no science behind it and little description on how such a event would progress. It simply states your initial state...a planet unfit for human life...and the end state...a planet fit for human life. There is nothing to support how you get from the initial to the end state....so yes, it is impossible.

Well by saying it's science fiction and not worth trying, you will not go any further with it. Nothing is impossible. Moon may indeed be very hard or just waste of time to be subject of terraforming, but Mars is great place to start with. But, though, it is not really the name of the topic so we could continue this conversation in PMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts