moon pictures on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marlanab

I was trying to find out what those pictures are of the moon, or so it says, its bright white light that looks like a squiggly worm. I was wondering what was going on there

T

telfrow

Welcome to SDC.<br /><br />What pictures of the moon are you talking about? Can you be a bit more specific? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

T

telfrow

Are you talking about these photos submitted to Amazing Images? (<i>Click on the previous sentence to see the page I'm talking about.</i>) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

T

telfrow

They'll be posted there, not on the message boards - unless you choose to post them yourself in our <i>Amazing Images</i> section. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

M

marlanab

what do u mean "they'll be poster there" I'm asking what that is a picture of, like why is it a squiggly thing titled hawaiian moon

T

telfrow

Sorry, I thought you were the person who had posted the photos and were questioning why they weren't posted here as well.<br /><br />It's the moon according to the caption.<br /><br />The images were apparently taken with a Kodak Easy Share 550V Compact Camera. The camera uses auto focus and auto exposure, which accounts for the nature of the image. <br /><br />First, compact auto focus cameras sometimes have a problem with focusing on infinity. <br /><br />Secondly, the metering system probably uses either center weighed or matrix metering - which means it will try to find a "happy medium" between absolute black and the bright disk of the moon. <br /><br />In these kind of cases, the camera will choose a slow shutter speed to try and bring out detail in the black areas - which will overexpose the moon. <br /><br />A slow shutter speed means the camera can't be hand held without camera "shake" appearing as "squiggly lines" - it's the moon moving around the frame as the exposure is taken. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

T

telfrow

Here's an example of camera shake caused by a slow shutter speed and trying to hand hold during the exposure. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#3366ff">Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find and not to yeild.</font> - <font color="#3366ff"><em>Tennyson</em></font></strong> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts