Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
I believe the moon was a large ice planet, when it collided with the earth, and also tilting our axis, this would have caused a lot of steam, and water.

Reactions: rod
I believe the moon was a large ice planet, when it collided with the earth, and also tilting our axis, this would have caused a lot of steam, and water.

Interesting model proposed here. The standard model is the giant impact involving Theia when it hit the proto-earth, Moon was produced by a head-on collision between Earth and a forming planet More recent research into giant impacts show they could create what is known as the synestia phase of matter for the earth-Moon system, The moon may have formed in a vaporised, doughnut-shaped Earth

Q: Does your impact model for the origin of the Moon, sidestep problems like Theia hitting the proto-earth and synestia phase of matter?

Jan 5, 2020
Visit site
I was thinking that theia could have been a frozen planet That came into the path of the earth, like pluto, and if it did collide or graze our planet, it could have tilted the earth as we know it.. I do not believe that comets would have enough water.. also if the earth was hot and you add a huge cold collision, it could have deposited a large amount water And capture a huge amount steam. It also could have set in motion the atmosphere with the steam. Could it also have caused plate tectonics, you know how hot and cold cause things to crack

Reactions: rod
I was thinking that theia could have been a frozen planet That came into the path of the earth, like pluto, and if it did collide or graze our planet, it could have tilted the earth as we know it.. I do not believe that comets would have enough water.. also if the earth was hot and you add a huge cold collision, it could have deposited a large amount water And capture a huge amount steam. It also could have set in motion the atmosphere with the steam. Could it also have caused plate tectonics, you know how hot and cold cause things to crack

The problem in the model seems to be focused on explaining how Earth got such a good and plentiful supply of water for life to thrive vs. something quite different it seems after the giant impact and that is a good issue. The synestia phase of matter after the giant impact now in the computer models - vaporize the material of proto-earth and proto-moon before the Moon can separate and form. From what I have studied on the giant impact model that dates back to 1975, shortly after the Apollo lunar missions, computer model impacts require specific input parameters including angles of impact and kinetic energy released. Some of the arguments in the giant impact model need to avoid a specific hit and velocity that destroys the proto-earth, thus getting close to a *miracle* event to explain the collision and origin of the Moon today :)

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site

I think the moon was drug here by a more advanced civilization which explains why the moon is older than the Earth and an eclipse is the perfect distance. If I recall some ancient texts and I can't remember what they were off hand explaining the moon was not always here.

Reactions: Private Idaho
I think the moon was drug here by a more advanced civilization which explains why the moon is older than the Earth and an eclipse is the perfect distance. If I recall some ancient texts and I can't remember what they were off hand explaining the moon was not always here.

Truthseeker007, it seems in your responses to specific science issues on origins like Neanderthals, modern man, the origin of the Moon, Lights on the Moon, it comes back around to E.T. aliens visiting here and doing interesting things as well as using ancient sources. This thread involved a giant impact model approach using something of different composition (ice vs. rock) than current models do for Theia, the giant impactor object used in the software calculations. You switched the discussion to E.T. aliens dragging the Moon here and dropping off at an undefined distance from Earth.

Perhaps you and Admin can open a specific topic for X-Files Department discussions. Just a thought.

The bit about the Moon being a "perfect distance" for eclipsing is an illusion.
If you look at maps and drawings of the path of any total eclipse, you see a small band for the totality.
For an eclipse, you have to have the eclipsing object be large enough to block the complete sun and not so far away that the apparent size of the sun is larger than the object.
For the Moon, as it is around 6X smaller than the Earth, that means that there is a distance out for both a minimum and maximum distance for a total solar eclipse.
The minimum distance is roughly at the surface of Earth. This covers the largest surface area on Earth.
For the maximum distance, it has to cover an angle as large or larger than the Sun.
The Sun is approximately 93 million miles away, and roughly a million miles in diameter. The Moon is roughly two thousand miles in diameter and about a quarter of a million miles away. Where those two angles meet, the angle of the Sun and the angle of the Moon, there is a point or area where the sun is blocked out completely. That point is on earth located several thousand miles underground. So what we have on the surface is an area, currently about a hundred miles wide, where the Moon does totally block out the Sun. What is happening is that the Moon's shadow is cast on the Earth. There is also a much larger area of partial shadow, where bits of the sun peek around the Moon. In the last eclipse, I was in this partial area. I only saw a 'bite' taken out of the Sun.
Eventually, the Moon will get far enough from the Earth that it will no longer totally eclipse our star. That won't be for hundreds of millions of years however.
The notion that the Moon is some magical perfect distance from the Earth is a myth. It isn't true. There are moons on both Jupiter and Saturn that cast eclipse shadows on both planets.
We aren't unique, and eclipses are normal for any world with both a large enough moon and one that is closer than a really wide orbit.
What is really unique about Earth and Moon is that our Moon is so large compared to Earth. The Earth-Moon system is really a double planet.
Those are quite rare.

Dec 11, 2019
Visit site
The bit about the Moon being a "perfect distance" for eclipsing is an illusion.
If you look at maps and drawings of the path of any total eclipse, you see a small band for the totality.
For an eclipse, you have to have the eclipsing object be large enough to block the complete sun and not so far away that the apparent size of the sun is larger than the object.
For the Moon, as it is around 6X smaller than the Earth, that means that there is a distance out for both a minimum and maximum distance for a total solar eclipse.
The minimum distance is roughly at the surface of Earth. This covers the largest surface area on Earth.
For the maximum distance, it has to cover an angle as large or larger than the Sun.
The Sun is approximately 93 million miles away, and roughly a million miles in diameter. The Moon is roughly two thousand miles in diameter and about a quarter of a million miles away. Where those two angles meet, the angle of the Sun and the angle of the Moon, there is a point or area where the sun is blocked out completely. That point is on earth located several thousand miles underground. So what we have on the surface is an area, currently about a hundred miles wide, where the Moon does totally block out the Sun. What is happening is that the Moon's shadow is cast on the Earth. There is also a much larger area of partial shadow, where bits of the sun peek around the Moon. In the last eclipse, I was in this partial area. I only saw a 'bite' taken out of the Sun.
Eventually, the Moon will get far enough from the Earth that it will no longer totally eclipse our star. That won't be for hundreds of millions of years however.
The notion that the Moon is some magical perfect distance from the Earth is a myth. It isn't true. There are moons on both Jupiter and Saturn that cast eclipse shadows on both planets.
We aren't unique, and eclipses are normal for any world with both a large enough moon and one that is closer than a really wide orbit.
What is really unique about Earth and Moon is that our Moon is so large compared to Earth. The Earth-Moon system is really a double planet.
Those are quite rare.

Well yea that is all quite obvious. It don't take a rocket scientist to know that. But thanks for explaining to those that have no idea of something simple.

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
It is actually coincidental that the Moon has approximately the same angular diameter as the Sun. There is variation at present as the Moon's distance from the Earth varies. However, this is small compared with the longer term movement of the Moon away from the Earth (as in general theory) so that the Moon once well covered the Sun, appearing much larger, but as the Moon moves further away it will appear smaller and smaller against the Sun during a solar eclipse.

Catastrophe

This has been long and varied with a title which could to any lunar debate almost without limitation, so I have gone back to post 1 of this thread, which is:
"I believe the moon was a large ice planet, when it collided with the earth, and also tilting our axis, this would have caused a lot of steam, and water." and I will now respond to this.

The currently accepted idea, to which I subscribe, is that Theia, a body of about Mars size, hit the proto-Earth and engendered our Moon, as it became today, after both Earth and Moon settled down. This is quite a different scenario to that posted so I will invite anyone to continue from here if they disagree with currently accepted version. Otherwise I believe this thread can go into well deserved retirement.

Cat :)

IG2007

"Don't criticize what you can't understand..."
I don't believe in Gypsy's theory. Many Computer Simulations have proved that Theia did actually hit Earth. And, I have also got a simple logic, the moon is actually moving away from Earth at a rate of 3.8 cm per year. If the moon was just a planet then it is actually not possible for Earth to just attract it and make it revolve around it, the Sun is more powerful than the Earth. The effect of that Theia crash is still here, that is why the moon is still moving away.

Catastrophe

"If the moon was just a planet then it is actually not possible for Earth to just attract it and make it revolve around it"

IG, what do you mean by this? There are many cases where satellites have been captured by planets, although our Moon is a special case. You also state that you believe in Theia hitting proto-Earth (as do).

Latest posts