More Star Trek XI cast confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

New cast confirmations (except where noted);<br /><br /><b>Christopher Pike:</b> Bruce Greenwood<br /><br /><b>Amanda Grayson (Spocks mother - young):</b> Wynona Ryder<br /><br /><b>George Samuel Kirk Sr. (Kirk's father):</b> Chris Hemsworth<br /><br /><b>Dr. Carol Marcus (mother of Kirk's son, David):</b> Jennifer Morrison (rumored, but she's been seen on the set with a uniform cover)<br /><br /><b>Janice (Yeoman) Rand:</b> Rachel Nichols<br /><br />No word on Sarek yet.<br /><br />Design work will be shared between Ryan Church (Transformers) and John Eaves (long time Trek designer).<br /><br />Filming started Nov. 7, 2007 and will end in March. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rybanis

Kirks father? Woah. I also find it interesting that Carol Marcus will be in it... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

vogon13

Greenwood as Pike ??<br /><br />Noooo!<br /><br />Ray Liotta was born to play the role!<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

W

willpittenger

I doubt that Janice Rand would be old enough while Kirk was in the Academy. If her scenes get set in the pre-flashback part, then I would think that would be "Commander Rand". Not Yeoman.<br /><br />--- Spoiler warning ---<br />Those interested in reading Shatner's new book <i>Star Trek: Academy: Collision Course</i> should be aware that he had Kirk's father's name confused. In Shatner's book, the father is "George Joesph Kirk" and the elder son is "George Samuel Kirk". <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

P

PistolPete

Rachel Nichols is 27, a little too young, especially in the Star Trek universe, to be a Commander so we will probably see Janice as a cadet or a freshly minted Ensign.<br /><br />Note that yeoman isn't an actual rank in modern militaries, but denotes a duty position, usually clerical.<br /><br /><br />Wikipedia says that in the UK and US Navy yeoman is a petty officer with "special duties". Hmm, the mind begins to wonder. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

Just how far back in time are we talking? If the memories part is set while Kirk and Spock are in the academy, then Rand would be way to young to appear as anything other than a toddler. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

E

etavaunt

I think Yeomen as you say, are not so common any more, but once apon the time (WW2) signals petty officiers were Yeomen, and Pursers, and Clerks, as you say.

P

PistolPete

Well, according to Memory Alpha Rand is <i>older</i> than Kirk! Kirk was (or should I say will be) born in 2233 while Rand was born in 2232. Remember that yeoman is a title bestowed on <i>enlisted</i> personnel. Hence this is why Kirk could outrank her yet she could be older than him. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

W

willpittenger

However, she spent several years in suspended animation for some reason. Because of that, there were times in which she was considered too young for the service. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

H

hracctsold

Will,<br /><br />Talk about the passage of time and forgeting what was said about character names, I was listening to an old book tape called Final Frontier, and the end of it listed the father as the senior, and the first son as junior, or George Samuel Kirk.<br /><br />This does not do much for the TRUE cannonists of our time, but I thot of your post when I heard it, and rewinded it just to be sure.<br /><br />So, it seems I am not the only one to forget things with age, but Shatner DOES have about 20 years on me.

M

mattblack

Ben Cross will be playing Sarek. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>One Percent of Federal Funding For Space: America <strong><em><u>CAN</u></em></strong> Afford it!!  LEO is a <strong><em>Prison</em></strong> -- It's time for a <em><strong>JAILBREAK</strong></em>!!</p> </div>

D

docm

IMO Christian Bale is one of the best actors of his generation. <br /><br />That said he's not a formally trained actor, so "the method" is not something he's familiar with. In 2005 he was interviewed by The Observer in an article called "Dark Star" and this came out of it;<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Bale says he never draws on the details of his own life for a part. In this respect, he's the opposite of a Method actor (despite the shared masochism); as an actor with no formal training, he doesn't really understand the theory, he says. The way he tells it, the parts have more sway over his life. Whatever's going on at home, the roles sometimes come back with him. It wasn't too bad for his wife, Sibi Blazic - Winona Ryder's former assistant and currently an independent film producer - having to live with Batman. The long shoot meant he didn't have to be as intense in his approach to the character: 'I think he was probably a simple one to deal with.'<br /><br />Unlike, say, when he played Bateman: 'I certainly know that my wife and friends have times when later on they say, "Man, we just couldn't stand you at that time." So yeah, I have discovered that I do behave differently.'<br /><br />Clearly, there's an obsessiveness to him which needs continual feeding. Playing obsessives themselves is 'a very comfortable feeling', maybe especially for someone with such an elastic personality. He says he admires that tireless quality in other actors, musicians and performers. He's in raptures about Terrence Malick - with Kubrick dead, now the ultimate, enigmatically obsessive director - who is getting ready to release The New World, his fourth film in 32 years. 'He's so in love with what he does, y'know. He so loves it and he so loves other people's ideas as well. He gets such a delight out of watching the actors and every member of the crew, reall</p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

darth_elmo

Considering that Kirk was a <i>captain</i> at age 29, I don't think that 27 is anything outrageous for being a commander.

D

darth_elmo

According to <i>Enterprise: The First Adventure</i>, Rand was the victim of Einsteinian time dilation. Thus, her chronological age was several years longer than her biological age.

L

lsbd

<font color="yellow">Considering that Kirk was a captain at age 29,</font><br /><br />That is one of the things that always bothered me about TOS. Kirk was a "captain" ie O6 (that is full bird Colonel in Army/Marines/Air Force) at age 29.<br /><br />the way rank progression works (outside of WWII type battlefield promotions) is<br /><br />Ensign to LTJG = 1.5 years<br />LTJG to LT = 1.5 years<br />LT to LT Commander= 4 years<br />LT C to Commander = 4 years<br />Commander to Captain = 4 years<br /><br />If you are the best of the best you might shave 2-3 years off that. so best case scenario it would take a minimum of 12 years to go from ensign to captain. assuming Kirk went to academy at 18, graduated at 22. He should have been at least 34 before he made captain.

D

darth_elmo

Nevertheless, it is canon that Kirk was the youngest officer ever to receive the rank of captain and command of a starship. (It is, after all, fiction.) And Starfleet isn't, strictly speaking, a military organization. Maybe because the exploration arm is so emphasized, it makes promoting the worthy easier. Only the Great Bird of the Galaxy knows for sure. <br /><br />Also, somewhere it's documented that Kirk entered Starfleet Acadamy early, perhaps as early as 15 or 16. That shaves off another two or three years off the timeline.

W

willpittenger

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Nevertheless, it is canon that Kirk was the youngest officer ever to receive the rank of captain and command of a starship.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>It is also canon that Picard beat Kirk by a year or two. BTW: Shatner was 35 when Star Trek started airing. I don't know when he started filming Star Trek, so he might have been only 34 then.<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Also, somewhere it's documented that Kirk entered Starfleet Acadamy early, perhaps as early as 15 or 16. That shaves off another two or three years off the timeline.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>Not in Shatner's new book, <i>Star Trek: Academy: Collision Course</i>. There Kirk is 17. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Will Pittenger<hr style="margin-top:0.5em;margin-bottom:0.5em" />Add this user box to your Wikipedia User Page to show your support for the SDC forums: <div style="margin-left:1em">{{User:Will Pittenger/User Boxes/Space.com Account}}</div> </div>

Z

ZenGalacticore

Remember in 'The Deadly Years' Bones tells Kirk that he is in effect 60 years old and aging fast. And Kirk replies: "But I'm only 34 years o-... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>ZenGalacticore</p> </div>

D

derekmcd

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Note that yeoman isn't an actual rank in modern militaries, but denotes a duty position, usually clerical. Wikipedia says that in the UK and US Navy yeoman is a petty officer with "special duties". Hmm, the mind begins to wonder. <br /> Posted by PistolPete</DIV></p><p>While Navy Personnelmen (PN) are administrative support for the Enlisted ranks, Yeomen (YN) support the Officer ranks.&nbsp; The lower ranks of Yeomen usually do mundane duties like composing, editing, filing correspondence and maintain the regs and general gopher stuff.&nbsp; Usually by the time you hit E4 your duties are more specific such as TAD, legal, operations and sometimes intel.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.