Most important discovery of the decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BenS1985

Long time (5+ years) reader, rare poster. I love the community here, so I thought I would pose this question:

With the decade almost over (and admittedly, there is still a month and a half of events that could totally reshape this question), looking back, what was the most important space discovery of this decade? What will our children look back at between 2000-2009 and think was the defining moment of this time period?

I was thinking of this, starting off with 'Did anything great happen this decade?' only to realize that this decade has been incredible concerning the pace of things that we had no idea about 10 years ago. So I humbly ask: What was the biggest?

A few on my casual list would be:
  • Finding water on the moon by LCROSS (good thing I didn't ask this a week ago!)
  • Finding a 'planet' larger than Pluto, causing it to drop off the list completely (Xena, now known as Eris)
  • Seeing oceans on Titan in false color thanks to Huygens and Cassini
  • Exoplanet discoveries - We started the decade with a list of 30. We now have a list of ~400, and found more in 2009 than the entirety of the 90's more than twice over. Would there be a specific planet to top the list?
  • One of the many discoveries by Spirit and Opportunity...A list in and of itself!
  • Cassini's multiple discoveries about Saturn and it's moons

So what say you, Space.com members? For myself, as odd as it may be, I'd put seeing the oceans of Titan in false color has to be the biggest (to me) of the decade. Maybe I'm biased because I remember expecting big things when it launched in 1997.

I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks is #1 on their list. I am sure that I've missed a few dozen important events of the decade, but thats why it's a discussion and not a vote :)

M

MeteorWayne

Great idea for a topic! Welcome to the posting part of the SDC community.

Pinky, The Brain, and I will have to ponder what will go on my list. Give me a little time :)

MOD HAT ON*****

This is a great topic for discussion. Please remember that the forum is titled Space Science and Astronmy and post here only discoveries related to that subject area. We can start topics in other fora for lists specific to the subjects there. Thanx in advance for all the poster's cooperation. Off topic posts will be exorcised.

Meteor Wayne

MOD HAT OFF*****

K

kg

I would add mapping the cosmic microwave background radiation to your list.

Another thing is advances in CCD imaging and processing has put professional quality observing in the hands of amateurs giving them the opportunity to participate in real science. It’s definitely a great time to be a spectator or even possibly a participant in astronomy!

K

kelvinzero

One that is slightly too last-decade for this thread was the discovery that the universe is not just expanding but accelerating. (1998 according to wiki)

Difficult one.

In addition to the above, not instead of, I would like to add:

1). MESSENGER has almost completed the first ever global mapping of Mercury. A very important milestone in planetary exploration.

2). Phoenix Mars Lander findings in the arctic area on Mars.

3). Ongoing Cassini observations.

4). Galileo Jupiter Orbiter completing it's mission & the findings asscociated from 2000.

5). NEAR Shoemaker mission to Amor Asteroid 433 Eros & the JAXA Hayabusa to NEA 25143 Itokawa. The most complete studies of asteroids to date.

6). Hubble Space Telescope directly images an exoplanet, a suspected embryonic gas giant orbiting Fomalhaut.

7). LRO carrying out the most indepth study of our Moon from a polar orbit. LCROSS has already been mentioned.

8). MRO carrying out the most indepth study of Mars from a polar orbit.

Andrew Brown.

D

dragon04

I would be very tempted to separate the discovery of water ice plumes being ejected from Enceladus from the other remarkable Saturnian discoveries.

B

bdewoody

First, technically the decade is 2001 thru 2010. The year 2000 was the last year of the 20th century. Now on to the question which is hard to answer while we are still in the decade and probably will be hard to answer for several years beyond.

Even though it's the most recent discovery I think finding significant volume of water on or near the surface of the moon will have the most significance in the long run.

M

MeteorWayne

bdewoody":1c1kxywc said:
First, technically the decade is 2001 thru 2010. The year 2000 was the last year of the 20th century. Now on to the question which is hard to answer while we are still in the decade and probably will be hard to answer for several years beyond.

Even though it's the most recent discovery I think finding significant volume of water on or near the surface of the moon will have the most significance in the long run.

Sorry, that's wrong, the year 2000 ws the first year of the 21st century, just as year 0 was the first year of the first century.

D

doom_shepherd

MeteorWayne":29us82qk said:
bdewoody":29us82qk said:

Sorry, that's wrong, the year 2000 ws the first year of the 21st century, just as year 0 was the first year of the first century.

No, we go straight from 1 BC to 1 AD. There is no year Zero. Ask a historian.

B

bdewoody

MeteorWayne":3jnmdaop said:
bdewoody":3jnmdaop said:

Sorry Wayne you are wrong this time but I'm too tired to look up the proof. 2000 was the last year of the 20th century hence the name 20th century just as 2100 will be the last year of this century. As the man said there was no year 0

M

MeteorWayne

I'm not going to look it up either at the moment. Lets' just say the precise definition is in dispute, since it's pretty much a meaningless arbitrary label anyway.

In any case, let's save the semantic discussion for another thread and stick to the overall topic. I think going a year or so in either direction doesn't affect the subject of this topic.

S

silylene

Proof of extensive water modification of the Martian surface.

Z

ZenGalacticore

Viagara.

No. I would go with the discovery of substantial quantities of water on the Moon. Substantial, ie, by lunar standards. But all the ones the OP mentioned are exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.