Move = Time/Speed

• Thread starter The_Science_Kid
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The_Science_Kid

The earth moves at 30 km/sec. This i will call one earth second.
The speed of light is 300000 (This is called C).
Now, let us emagin that a planet could travel at C. Thier time would move 10000 times faster then the earths time.
So, Movement = Time/Speed. If you travel at C, then 1 minute is 10000 minutes to everybody else. This means that you CAN travel in time (To the future).

Tell me what you think ?

O

origin

The_Science_Kid":1tbxlha1 said:
The earth moves at 30 km/sec. This i will call one earth second.
The speed of light is 300000 (This is called C).
Now, let us emagin that a planet could travel at C. Thier time would move 10000 times faster then the earths time.
So, Movement = Time/Speed. If you travel at C, then 1 minute is 10000 minutes to everybody else. This means that you CAN travel in time (To the future).
Tell me what you think ?

Well you cannot move at the speed of light first off.

Secondly a body in an acclerated enertial frame would have time move slower than in the unacclerated inertial frame. But the person or planet would not go into the future or into the past time would just move more slowly for them relative to the 'stationary' person.

You are sorta kinda on the right track, but, the difference in time is NOT linear. Special relativity showed that the time dialation effect increase to the point that time would STOP, relative to an observer, for an object traveling at the speed of light (which as I said is not possible).

One final comment: time X speed = distance. All that equation means is that for a given amount of time the faster the speed the farther you go...

edited because I misread the original post.

T

The_Science_Kid

Man, i said.
LETS IMAGIAN THAT A PLANET COULD TRAVEL AT C.

Dont you think i know its imposible ? Matter cannot travel at the speed of light, becuase it always has the matter slowing it down.

M

MeteorWayne

That's not the reason. It's because it would take more than the available energy in the Universe to accelerate an object with mass to C.

O

origin

The_Science_Kid":5bonhswq said:
Man, i said.
LETS IMAGIAN THAT A PLANET COULD TRAVEL AT C.

Dont you think i know its imposible ? Matter cannot travel at the speed of light, becuase it always has the matter slowing it down.

Fine, just ignore that part of the post! Did the rest of the information make sense to you?

S

Shpaget

If you traveled at 250 000 km/s your one second would last 1,8 seconds for stationary observer.
If you traveled at 290 000 km/s one second for you would last less than 4 seconds for stationary observer.
If you traveled at 299 000 km/s one second for you would last 12,5 seconds for stationary observer.
If you traveled at 299 999,999 km/s your one second would last 12 247 seconds for stationary observer.
If you traveled at 299 999,999 999 999 km/s your one second would last 12 247 448 seconds for stationary observer.

You see?
You don't need to achieve full speed of light to get 10 000 factor of time dilatation, but you don't see significant difference until you really approach it.

Time travel to the future?
Well, you can just take a nap and travel couple of hours into it. It's much healthier and waaay more energy efficient. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts