$#*% My Dad Says!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StarRider1701

Now I'm not normally into sitcoms, at least not modern ones. But this one is funny. I put this thread here because it stars our favorite Starship Captain, William Shatner. I've watched the first episodes and I have to say I like it.
Ed is a divorced man with two grown sons, one of whom has just moved in with him because the son lost his job.
I think the network might be trying to make Ed a modern version of Archie Bunker. They may even succeed.

"Sometimes a pig walks to slaughter because he knows its good for the farmer."

A

a_lost_packet_

I'm watching an episode now. I didn't know anything about it until I read your thread. Interesting... Though, while I really like Shattner in several roles, I don't know if he's right for this one. Maybe... We'll see. So far, it doesn't suck. :)

Edit - Watched a good bit of it. He's no Archie. He needs a bit more development, I think.

J

jim48

Remember Shatner won his first Emmy for a guest star role on Third Rock from the Sun and he was a scream as Denny Crane on Boston Legal. Haven't seen his new show yet.

A

a_lost_packet_

jim48":hrnw6fft said:
Remember Shatner won his first Emmy for a guest star role on Third Rock from the Sun and he was a scream as Denny Crane on Boston Legal. Haven't seen his new show yet.

I don't recall his TRftS role, but I have seen his Denny Crane character and I'd have to agree - He does it perfectly! I just don't know if he is "gruff enough" to be the lead in a @$% My Dad Says sitcom. Smarmy, yes.. Gruff, coarse or Archie-like? The jury's still out on that one.

S

StarRider1701

a_lost_packet_":1obq4qqa said:
I'm watching an episode now. Watched a good bit of it. He's no Archie. He needs a bit more development, I think.

I didn't say he was an instant Archie. I said he might become a modern Archie... IF the writing stays good. I wonder that you doubt his ability to play different or differing roles? After all, Shatner is a pretty good actor who has played several very diverse characters.

PS. Being a "Modern Archie" doesn't mean he has to be a Clone of Archie Bunker. Think more conceptually.

A

a_lost_packet_

StarRider1701":21buj8mq said:
I didn't say he was an instant Archie. I said he might become a modern Archie... IF the writing stays good. I wonder that you doubt his ability to play different or differing roles? After all, Shatner is a pretty good actor who has played several very diverse characters.

PS. Being a "Modern Archie" doesn't mean he has to be a Clone of Archie Bunker. Think more conceptually.

Oh, I understand. I don't expect him to be "Archie." He's just going to have to develop his own character a bit more so he can put his own flavor on it. After all, I don't think anyone could play Archie except for Carroll O'Connor. He made it his character, 100%. That's what Shattner is going to have to do with this one.

It's tough. Shattner isn't a character actor, IMO. He's a classically trained, stage seasoned, Shakespearean grounded lead/ first-supporting actor. He's developed his own personae, IMO, when it comes down to the characters he plays. For instance, I think his ideal character is Denny Crane. It suits him perfectly. So, he's going to have to "roughen up" this character a bit in order to really get the new character to shine. IOW - He can't play Denny Crane in this role. He can't do the Priceline Guy here either. Neither Kirk nor TJ Hooker qualify either. It calls for something a bit more earthy, a little more rough.

Sort of like a Hemmingway-esque type guy without the questionable stuff. Intelligent (his character is a doctor), seasoned (retired, set in his ways) outspoken (always has a comment on something) and a little rough around the edges.. (??) That part is missing right now. It will probably develop as the show progresses.

I don't watch sitcoms very often. There's one "Sitcom Dad" I remember that fits the bill perfectly for that "rough edge" type thing that I think is missing. I can't remember the show, atm. If I do, I'll post it and you'll probably know what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.