Mysterious 'hot Jupiter' planets can form quickly or slowly, Gaia spacecraft reveals

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Mysterious 'hot Jupiters' can form quickly or slowly | Space

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

The existence of "hot Jupiters" is one of the oldest mysteries of the exoplanet-hunting era, but a European spacecraft is revealing some clues about how these enigmatic worlds form.
So-called hot Jupiters are planets that are roughly as massive as Jupiter and orbit very close to their stars, usually less than one-tenth the distance at which Earth orbits the sun. Hot Jupiters are very different from anything seen in the solar system, posing questions about their formation

Cat :_

This site shows 1552 exoplanets orbiting where semi-major axis 0.1 au or closer, The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia (exoplanet.eu)

5106 are now listed as confirmed so 1552 is a bunch. Another interesting stat. When I selected using a < = 0.73 au (as close as Venus here or closer), I found 2516 exoplanets listed. That is a bunch too with average mass 2.5 Mjup and min a = 0.0026 au out to 0.73 au. There are plenty of exoplanets with large masses moving around their parent stars, very close compared to what we see in our solar system.

I examined the research paper cited in this article. Reference paper cited, Evidence for the Late Arrival of Hot Jupiters in Systems with High Host-star Obliquities, 29-April-2022, https://arxiv.org/pdf/2205.00040.pdf, 35-pages.

My observation. The paper has a table of hot jupiters studied on page 7. "Table 1. Isochrone Analysis Input Data". WASP-32 is an example listed first with stellar parallax 3.57 mas. Properties listed http://exoplanet.eu/catalog/wasp-32_b/

I calculate P = 2.7194E+00 day, listed P = 2.71865 day. In 1 Gyr period, this hot Jupiter could complete 1.3431E+11 or more than 134 billion revolutions around the host star near 1.1 Msun. The radius listed for WASP-32 b is 1.18 Rjup so mean density near 2.7 g cm^-3 with mass 3.6 Mjup. Applying the MMSN to 1.1 Msun star, a postulated disc could be 3.662554E+03 or 3662.554 earth masses for total dust and gas. No disc is observed presently at WASP-32 b. The exoplanet.eu site shows if disc detected. 5106 exoplanets listed and 89 have possible disc detected. The vast majority show no disc detected in these exoplanet systems.

I am wondering if our own solar system ever had a "hot Jupiter". Would we know if our Sun swallowed such a planet something like 4 billion years ago? Or maybe just blew off/sucked off the gases and left a rock like Mercury?

Last edited:

Latest posts