Name of the first lunar colony

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

orienteer

So, what would you like to see the first colony named. Using history as my guide, I am nominating
A) Gagarin
B) Sheppard
C) Satchmo (oops, that should read Armstrong)
D) New America
E) New Russia
F) New China
G) New Washington
H) New Moscow
I) New Beijing

I am willing to hear other suggestions, but using your own name is only allowed if you plan on financing the first year.

O

OleNewt

Luna. An elegant name for what could potentially be a breakaway colony (at least, according to Ben Bova). We shouldn't saddle them with some awkward-sounding name.

Mare Narisaus. :mrgreen:

B

bdewoody

How about Armstrong Lunar Base. Afterall Neil Armstrong started it all.

Or the James Lovell Lunar Base in honor of the guy that got so close but didn't get to take a step on the moon.

R

R1

I like that one, Moonville1.
I really don't think I want moonbases named after individuals.

R

R1

Or the Lunar-ISC 1 (International Space Colony 1).

The modular colony components can then have whatever names the contributing nation decides,
something similar to the way the ISS is named.

B

bdewoody

R1":3idvq4ja said:

Why not? ie the Kennedy Space Center.

R

R1

bdewoody":gat0lydc said:
R1":gat0lydc said:

Why not? ie the Kennedy Space Center.

I think global efforts are essential to maximizing the advancement of space exploration.
Lunar colonies will (or should) involve contributions from scientists from various parts of the world,
as well as any private industries who can. So I really don't think a lunar colony should be
named after a single individual from a single nation.

D

dryson

In order to name the moonbase we have to look at two criteria, the first is whether or not the moonbase is going to be used as an international collection point of people or is the moonbase going to be used to facilitate the habitat of a certain group of people from a certain country. If the moonbase is going to house members from different countries like Africa, Japan, Australia, South Korea, France, Great Brittain, Canada, America and Aruba for example, then you would have to name the base that would make everyone feel comfortable and welcome which would result in a cultural gender neuter or generic name such as Moonbase Hope, Future, Footstep, Exploration, Discovery, ect. A name that would be inviting and welcoming to all. If for example you had smaller moonbases linked off of the main hub that is used as an international welcoming mat then you could name each hub with a popular person from the countries history.

Africa = Moonbase Zulu
Japan = Monnbase Yamato
Australia = Moonase Queens
Great Grittain =Moonbase Churchill
Canada = Moonbase EH?
America = Moonbase Colorado

The individual names for each countries bases would be almost infinite. The International names for each moonbase hub would have to convey an overall welcoming invitation for all.

M

moreandless

good show Dryson
although i was leaning toward Thea the putative mother of the moon
and to whom we owe a great deal of good evolutionary fortune
for some reason Bova was among my fondest choices
corporations might end up owning all that...hmm Walmart??

D

dernhelmyu

Well.....How about.....Moonbase Serbia :lol: :lol: :lol: (but seriously,i liked that Moonbase Selena name,it's nice) :ugeek:

S

Solifugae

We could call it something inspiring, but only if you can think of something that doesn't sound clunky and patriotic. It has to really represent mankind's hope for space and the future even if the base was only set up by a single country.

As a fall back, I will say good old simple "Moonbase One" would be effective.

H

High_Evolutionary

"Apollo city", I would imagine. Maybe something latin would work, not to many nations would disagree with this.

K

kelvinzero

Maybe its name will end up inspired by the name of its location, eg Tycho or Shacklton base etc.. Though I guess that is unlikely as the naming obviously has a dollar value.. It will probably end up being Ronny McDonald base.. easier to say than something like Rozhdestvenskiy anyway :)

B

babea

mark_d_s":1kvdlu8q said:
It should be named after Arthur C Clarke.

"Moonbase Arthur" :D

I really don't think it should be named after any individual...it that were the case there could be a slew of names like Werner .

Status
Not open for further replies.