Name that Star Catalogue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thnkrx

<p>I've been spending way too much time staring at these things the past few months as part of a project of my own.&nbsp; More, possibly, than some professional astronomers.&nbsp; Time to see..</p><p>I list some common star catalogue abbreviations below.&nbsp; How many of you can give the full name for each catalogue? (example: HD = Henry Draper):</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>1) NLTT&nbsp;</p><p>2) BD</p><p>3) LP</p><p>4) G</p><p>5) GJ</p><p>6) Hip</p><p>7) GCTP</p><p>8) AC</p><p>9) CPD</p><p>10) R</p><p>11) W</p><p>12) LHS&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

A

adrenalynn

<p>Those largely aren't the ones I'd be staring at.&nbsp; My list would probably run more towards NOMAD, WCCD, Hipparcos (#6 on your list), Tycho, UCAC, USNO, ACRS, PPM, GSC, CPIRSS, HD, GCVS</p><p>From memory:</p><p>1) New Luyten Two-Tenths</p><p>2) &nbsp;Bonner [you want me to write German?!?] - the Bonn Sampling - Durchmustrang?</p><p>3) LP was a predecessory to NLTT, wasn't it?&nbsp; Luyten Palomar?&nbsp; A proper-motion catalog?</p><p>4) I don't know.&nbsp; Maybe early Gliese?&nbsp; </p><p>5) GJ was Gliese-Jahreib I believe.</p><p>6) Already labled it above.</p><p>7) General Catalog of Trigonometric Parallaxes.&nbsp; That one I know well.&nbsp; Hopefully you're hanging around in the NGCTP and not going "back to the future" and hanging around in the mid-1950's... ;)</p><p>8) Astrophotographic Catalog (Catalogue Astrographique?)&nbsp; You probably shouldn't be hanging around in it at all [except for historic purposes) since the USNO has merged it into their collection.</p><p>9) More German.&nbsp; See "Bonner" above, only fast forward a bunch.&nbsp; ;)&nbsp; More historical stuff - with lower declinations.&nbsp; Cape Photo Durchmustrang?</p><p>10) Don't know</p><p>11) I'd guess that was Worley </p><p>12) Luten Half Second</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>How'd I do?&nbsp; Do I get knocked-down for spelling?&nbsp; ;)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>.</p><p><font size="3">bipartisan</font>  (<span style="color:blue" class="pointer"><span class="pron"><font face="Lucida Sans Unicode" size="2">bī-pär'tĭ-zən, -sən</font></span></span>) [Adj.]  Maintaining the ability to blame republications when your stimulus plan proves to be a devastating failure.</p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000"><font color="#ff0000">IMPE</font><font color="#c0c0c0">ACH</font> <font color="#0000ff"><font color="#c0c0c0">O</font>BAMA</font>!</font></strong></p> </div>

T

thnkrx

<p>Not bad.</p><p>&nbsp;1) NLTT = New Luyten Two Tenths (I prefer the sequential numbers.&nbsp; Much easier to keep track of)</p><p>2) BD = &nbsp;Bonner Durchmunsterag (not sure of the spelling either).&nbsp;</p><p>3) LP = Luyten-Palomar (I do not care for that ID system)</p><p>4) G = Giclas, (an olde ID system, don't care much for it either)&nbsp;</p><p>5) GJ = Gliese</p><p>6) Hip = Hipparcos (looked over the recalculated version yet? They reduced a lot of the error margins..but in some cases they actually made the error margins worse than before)</p><p>7) GCTP = General Catalog of Trig Parallaxes (and yes, I do prefer the last version, though some of the old line entries are not that far out of whack)&nbsp;</p><p>8) AC = Astrographic Catalog (It gets refered to a lot on Simbad)</p><p>9) CPD = Cape Photo Durchmunsterwhatever</p><p>10) R = Ross (a *real* olde.&nbsp; Luyten seems to have been fond of it, though, so it sort of survives.&nbsp; But then he was also fond of Giclas and his very own LP as well, so much so he left out the 'G' and the `Lp' leaving folks to guess which catalogue he was refering to in the NLTT).</p><p>11) W = Wolf&nbsp; (another olde)</p><p>12) LHS = Luyten Half Second (just about the only Luyten catalogue arranged with sequential numbers).</p><p>I do spend a&nbsp;lot of time with the HD numbers.&nbsp; Tycho...they need to sit down and recalculate those parallaxes in&nbsp;Tycho-1...I mean most of them are either into the negatives or have margins of error greater than the parallax! I do refer to some of the photometry in the USNO and UCAC now and again (accessed off Simbad).&nbsp;</p><p>Been slowly and painfully trying to put together a comprehensive 50 pc catalogue, margin of error within 15%.&nbsp; The Hip has a lot...but it misses a lot as well.&nbsp;&nbsp;Lately I've been going through the photometric distances of Weis, from the 1980's and early 90's.&nbsp; Compared a bunch of his old stuff with the Hip distances...he did pretty good: nailed it within 10% about 40%&nbsp;of the time, and within 10-15% another 20%, making his&nbsp;work accurate enough for me just under two thirds of the time.&nbsp; Of course, about 10% of the time&nbsp;he was way, way out, but even so...&nbsp;Most of the other photometric distance collections&nbsp;I've stacked up against the Hip...well...they hit within 15% only about 30-40% of the time, and another 30% of the time they have pretty serious problems.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts