Nasa Commercial Sponsorship Poll

Should NASA be allowed to carry commercial sponsorship on the sides of its rockets?

• 1. Why not? The US already has sponsorship of its schools.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • 2. No, the space program's credibility is not for sale

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 3. Sometimes

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pberrett

Hi all

With NASA over budget and bloated it needs a new source of funds. Is this the answer? Would it faciliate more unmanned space exploration?

Thoughts -

Ares 1 (The Stick) sponsored by Gillette
Ares 5 sponsored by McDonalds and renamed McRocket

M

MeteorWayne

Not related to a Mission or a Launch, moved to Space Business and Technology.

V

vulture4

The Russians already do this. Just make sure not to use the nonconductive decals that cause the dreaded "triboelectric" charging that nearly scrubbed the Ares-1 launch.

S

Shpaget

Each launch costs hundreds of millions of $. How much do you think the advertisers would be willing to pay?
Would it make even a dent in the expenses?

S

Swampcat

It's my understanding that NASA is legally barred from things of this nature.

IOW, it won't happen, though it sounds like a good idea to me.

L

ldyaidan

I think they need to do whatever it takes. If we need to spray paint the rocket red and write "coke" down the side, then do it. I also think that they should be able to accept private donations. I absolutely hate the Simpsons, but if seeing Homer's face on the moon gets people to support the program, then I'm good with it.

Rae

P

pberrett

They could even go further.

Imagine for example if for example McDonalds was allowed to set up the first fast food restaurant in a part of the ISS. That would be very good publicity for them.

And also NASA might start selling NASA logo'd baby and adult diapers.

Regards Peter

M

MeteorWayne

Who the heck would eat at the ISS McDonalds? Over 5 served? :)

E

EarthlingX

MeteorWayne":3avgb8t4 said:
Who the heck would eat at the ISS McDonalds? Over 5 served? :)
Someone who'd won the McDonalds LEO SkyBurger prize ;)

L

ldyaidan

Maybe not the space station, but certainly in the lunar colony. Hopefully, the water discovery will help move things along. Once there is a place for people to go, you know that every company out there is going to want in on the market. We just have to get the door open, so that ordinary people can go.

E

EarthlingX

What do you think, how much would a ticket to ISS cost, if shuttle would be changed into a bus, instead of a truck ?
I guess it could bring a lot of people in that 20 000 kg available mass .. ? My guess is around 40 ..

M

MeteorWayne

I repeat. The Shuttle program is over. Stop speculating about something that doesn't exist a year from now.

E

EarthlingX

MeteorWayne":2tu376pd said:
I repeat. The Shuttle program is over. Stop speculating about something that doesn't exist a year from now.

Yea man, this part is mostly over, give or take a flight. It will almost certainly get a bit of extension, little longer than a year, to nitpick a bit.
I just don't remember this bus idea being shot down. Talk in the air is about a heavy lifter, but maybe the old bird still have some life in it. They have shown they could launch three times a year, with 40 passengers per flight, queue in front you and me would get shorter much faster.
What do you think, would that be inspiring ?

S

scottb50

EarthlingX":1q4xkkea said:
MeteorWayne":1q4xkkea said:

Yea man, this part is mostly over, give or take a flight. It will almost certainly get a bit of extension, little longer than a year, to nitpick a bit.
I just don't remember this bus idea being shot down. Talk in the air is about a heavy lifter, but maybe the old bird still have some life in it. They have shown they could launch three times a year, with 40 passengers per flight, queue in front you and me would get shorter much faster.
What do you think, would that be inspiring ?

I seriously doubt the Shuttle could be certified to carry unless you used all the payload capability to provide escape systems. Pretty much any failure from lift off to SRB separation would preclude a return and after that, while procedures exist they are pretty much untested theories.

The ET and SRB's with a much simpler vehicle, or both re-usable manned and simplified cargo modules would be the best way to go, though the timing would push it way past existing programs.

E

EarthlingX

scottb50":35sf858d said:
I seriously doubt the Shuttle could be certified to carry unless you used all the payload capability to provide escape systems. Pretty much any failure from lift off to SRB separation would preclude a return and after that, while procedures exist they are pretty much untested theories.

The ET and SRB's with a much simpler vehicle, or both re-usable manned and simplified cargo modules would be the best way to go, though the timing would push it way past existing programs.

OK, i'll rephrase all the thing: what do you think about a bus to orbit, derived from some STS derived heavy vehicle ?
In some later stage, after the cargo has been successfully brought a couple of times to ISS, replace cargo module part with the bus part. It would be a detachable module, with it's own parachutes and escape propulsion.

Bigelow will have a van, this would be a bus.

Yea, and no SRBs, to be able to 'human rate' it.

N

neutrino78x

I wouldn't want this, because NASA is an official activity of the United States of America. You wouldn't have advertisements on US Navy warships, the White House, or Air Force One, nor should you have them on NASA spacecraft. This idea is for private launch services only.

--Brian

E

EarthlingX

neutrino78x":2abextv3 said:
I wouldn't want this, because NASA is an official activity of the United States of America. You wouldn't have advertisements on US Navy warships, the White House, or Air Force One, nor should you have them on NASA spacecraft. This idea is for private launch services only.

--Brian
You're right. I was just trying to find some extra source of financing for NASA with their resources at the disposal, more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts