NASA has glimpsed our galaxy's fate in three-way galactic brawl

Aug 9, 2021
Visit site
What's amazing is that...

Located 389 light-years away from Earth in the constellation Lynx, Arp 195 is a galaxy cluster made up of three galaxies ripping each other apart in a three-way gravitational tug-of-war.

This three galaxy collision is occurring not only well within our own 100,000+ light year wide galaxy, but essentially in our own galactic back yard. :p

A quick google gives various figures, but more in the 747 to 763 millions of light years between us.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019
Visit site
What's amazing is that...

This three galaxy collision is occurring not only well within our own 100,000+ light year wide galaxy, but essentially in our own galactic back yard. :p

A quick google gives various figures, but more in the 747 to 763 millions of light years between us.

I caught that too, but what's disturbing is that the writer didn't. I've noticed before that many of the writers on Space.com write well enough to put together a decent article when they're provided the facts, but don't seem to know very much about the subject themselves, like a kid doing a report by paraphrasing wikipedia. I suspect it's a first job out of college for some, while they wait for that callback from Teen Vogue.