NASA says Ares IV for "earlier mission capability"

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holmec

That's some good clarification. Seems like the Ares IV is being looked at at the same time an manned asteroid mission is being looked at. Coincidence....I think not. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#0000ff"><em>"SCE to AUX" - John Aaron, curiosity pays off</em></font></p> </div>

R

radarredux

From the article:<br /> /> <i><font color="yellow">The maiden launch for a crewed Orion/Ares I stack is scheduled for October 2013</font>/i><br /><br />I know NASA plans a series of tests (e.g., a test in about 2+ years with a dumby second stage), but are there any plans to launch an unmanned cargo version of Orion to ISS <i>before</i> the first crewed launch?</i>

D

dreada5

Ideally, NASA's vehicles should be geared towards transporting hardware/crews from LEO to other solar system destinations (launching from stations or vessels in parked orbits). Private sector must dominate commercial transportation to LEO (crews, tourists & light cargo). <br /><br />If COTS works we will have really taken a step forward, allowing NASA to focus on manned exploration of the solar system and not tooling around in LEO. Possibly negating the need for heavy investment in Ares I-type vehicles.

N

nyarlathotep

COTS is never going to work with the current administration. NASA has shown exactly zero interest in purchasing existing off the shelf transportation services. They wont touch Atlas, Delta, Ariane, Zenit or Proton, even though they all have similar capability to Ares I. <br /><br />If they aren't buying now, why the hell would you think they would purchase a future vehicle?

D

dreada5

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>If they aren't buying now, why the hell would you think they would purchase a future vehicle? <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br /><br />Because $500 million and a changing market/requirements says so??

R

rocketman5000

If they aren't buying now, why the hell would you think they would purchase a future vehicle? "<br /><br />For one they had a chance to specify requirements that the craft must meet. NASA can't by Zenit or Proton even if they wanted to because leftover laws from Cold War era. As for Atlas and Delta? It would create a marginal craft and then you would be complaining about the cargo capacity of the Orion Capsule. <br /><br />You can't have your cake and eat it too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts