NASA's Perseverance is exploring Mars! Come watch updates with us!

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2021
Visit site
In the future there will be people on other planets and moons so much so that it may just become the norm and nobody tunes in any more to watch launches and to follow these missions. We have to make sure that we get our future generations to keep watching and keep being interested otherwise in the distant future out past Alpha Centauri we may forget wear we come from.

Reactions: vincenzosassone

tariqmalik

Editor-in-Chief
Space.com Editorial
Oct 24, 2019
Visit site
Tariq
Congratulations to all including Space.com community.
Thanks for your message. I have been watching live coverage.
Excitement matches the thrills of Apollo Programs.
Automation with perfection in spite of new technologies used for landing.
Certainly the younger generation will one day be celebrating human landing on Mars and we also hope to sooner see evidence of extra terrestrial life.
Best Wishes to Perseverance team members.
Ravi Sharma
(Apollo Achievement Award Recipient, 1969)

Thank you so much, Dr. Sharma!

Reactions: C0MMANDER C0DY
Feb 19, 2021
Visit site
Well, we'll find out once Percy makes its way back! As far as I'm concerned, it's just exciting to see so many efforts at further studying/ exploring Mars!
Then what? Whatever happened to baby steps? We are still clumsy at just orbiting earth, only went to the moon and back once in 50 years and apparently we already think we're ready for Mars. Good luck with finding signs of ancient life there. Do we even know what we are supposed to do with that knowledge? What if you don't? Will that change anything? I certainly encourage curiosity, innovation, ingenuity and pioneering, I just wonder how much future generations are being rushed into too many uncertain realities in the name of technological achievements. Here we are still trying to learn how NOT to terraform a planet.

Will that change anything?
If you will, I want to reply you. Like all the other knowledge, this is important to improve... The changments aren't visible, you have to take in account the possibility that we could feel this innovations only in the far future, but if we don't improve now the space adventures, there won't be a future plenty of spacecraft in the space travelling in our solar sistem in order to reach some locations like Mars, Venus, some random Jupiter's moons and so on. Those places will be habitable sooner than we think. And besides that, whether or not there was life on Mars, something possible expecially in the past, we'll know because of this mission. In other words, this isn't only wonderful, but it is also useful!

DAF

Aug 5, 2020
Visit site
Is the rover capable of flying autonomously? I can't wait to see the pictures. I hope NASA will fly the rover over Cydonia Mense or the Valles Marineris. What a site that would be.

Feb 21, 2021
Visit site
A rough attempt at coming up with a perspective-adjusted view from one of Perseverance's Hazcams taken short after landing. The horizon has been adjusted to look flat, like it would look with the human eye.

Original picture available there: https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25612/perseverances-first-full-color-look-at-mars

50965365313_f53be914f7_o_d.jpg

Reactions: MMohammed

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
IMO the most important thing beyond all else conceivable is the possibility of finding evidence of extra terrestrial life. My firm belief is that we are not alone and finding evidence of past life so close would be indicative of widespread occurrence.
Of course, there is a yearning cavern between primitive life and ourselves, but extra terrestrial life, once established in principle, might eventually show how primitive we are, despite our grand anthropomorphic delusions.

Cat :)

Aug 31, 2020
Visit site
Anyone interested in the possibility of finding evidence of extra terrestrial life might like to look at the "Earthlike planet found" thread in Astronomy, where there is some attempt to arrive at suitable understanding of what "Earthlike" means.

Cat :)
We'll never hear about it because some much of this is being censored because NASA powers to be
don't feel that the GP "can't handle the truth".

Anyone interested in the possibility of finding evidence of extra terrestrial life might like to look at the "Earthlike planet found" thread in Astronomy, where there is some attempt to arrive at suitable understanding of what "Earthlike" means.
I would love to find on these planets ( in a very, very far future) this typology of life very close to ours. Anyways, in my opinion if there is life out there, they aren't forced to be like us. Firstly, we don't know a lot about them, as far as I'm concerned aliens can be even strange plants. Secondly, we cannot be sure that on these planets there are eucaryote organisms instead of the usually prokaryotic organisms we can find (maybe) on Venus or Mars. As I always say, life is common, intelligence isn't so common, it is hard to discover. I nearly forgot, what if aliens aren't like the forms of life in this planet? I mean, what if there are beings that instead of breathe oxigen like the most organisms in this planet they breathe carbon dioxide, or, for instance, methane. This seems to be quite impossible, but we cannot know this, planets whom are classified to be unhabitable for us can be inhabitated by them, this is all.

Reactions: Catastrophe
Oct 6, 2020
Visit site
Congratulation's on the successful landing of the Perseverance Mars rover landing. Great days for NASA and space Exploration.

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
L9D24k8.jpg

🚀 Perseverance has Landed! 🚀

UPDATE: We've got a NASA livestream happening today, revealing more about what it took to land Percy on Mars AND showing us some new images and video from the red planet!

Watch along with us! The stream starts at 2PM ET and can be seen below:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQwuYZbA6o&feature=emb_title

giphy.gif

Image credit: NASA
After setting off in the Summer last year, NASA's Perseverance rover is finally set to touchdown on the red planet. For a few reasons, this is an exciting time to be a space enthusiast. First of all, this mission represents a the most promising cache of samples, adding to a whole lot of Mars exploration that focuses on how habitable this planet was. Additionally, part of this mission involves a helicopter, named Ingenuity, that launched with Perseverance. This aircraft be testing out what flying through the Martian atmosphere is like!
It's an exciting week here on the Space forums. Join us and watch the NASA livestream below. Perseverance lands tomorrow, February 18th, with the live webcast beginning at 2:15 PM EST.

In 1950 a 10yr old kid (me) discovered Sc-Fi in a library in Cavite, Philippines while looking for Tarzan but found author, Edgar Rice Burroughs also wrote a Sci-Fi novel about MARs & Martians> 14yrs later 1964 NASA had a problem on Apollo that that kid SOLVED> if RocketDyne could NOT figure out how to CALIBRATE rocket thrusters NO ONE was going to the MOON, b/c game plan REQ'D a "Dock in Space"> So I designed the 1st Impulse Load Cell to calibrate thrusters for precise CONTROL of S/C maneuvering in space OR landing, so it is w/great Satisfaction for me to see CALIBRATED thrusters used to land on Mars, 71yrs AFTER I 1st read about landing on Mars back in 1950> Here's the Design of the Impulse Load Cell designed in 1964 (over 50yrs b/4 China figured it out) & proven by Neil on Gemeni Project as Armstrong b/c 1st to "Dock in Space"" thks to Calibrated
Thrusters
L9D24k8.jpg

🚀 Perseverance has Landed! 🚀

UPDATE: We've got a NASA livestream happening today, revealing more about what it took to land Percy on Mars AND showing us some new images and video from the red planet!

Watch along with us! The stream starts at 2PM ET and can be seen below:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQwuYZbA6o&feature=emb_title

giphy.gif

Image credit: NASA
After setting off in the Summer last year, NASA's Perseverance rover is finally set to touchdown on the red planet. For a few reasons, this is an exciting time to be a space enthusiast. First of all, this mission represents a the most promising cache of samples, adding to a whole lot of Mars exploration that focuses on how habitable this planet was. Additionally, part of this mission involves a helicopter, named Ingenuity, that launched with Perseverance. This aircraft be testing out what flying through the Martian atmosphere is like!
It's an exciting week here on the Space forums. Join us and watch the NASA livestream below. Perseverance lands tomorrow, February 18th, with the live webcast beginning at 2:15 PM EST.

[/QUO

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
Percy compleats a dream I had 70yrs ago as a 11yr old boy who discovered Sci-Fi while looking for a Tarzan book & found the author had written sci-fi adventures of Martians> 13 yrs later w/a BSME I designed an Impulse Load Cell to Calibrate rocket Thrusters of S/C or NO ONE was going to "Dock in Space" & go to Moon. Neil Armstrong proved out the Calibration when in 1965 he b/c 1st astronaut to do so on Project Gemini> Since then thrusters have been precisely Calibrated thks to my design wherein U could measure Impulse of a tone arm settling onto a record or a Sledge hammer blow & everything in between> A well-trained primate could've landed on the moon & several did, IF U get this engineer's drift> Same goes for any S/C use of thrusters to land on a planet, as computers R able to CONTROL well-calibrated Thrusters for Stability in a programmed sequence of landing> w/o Calibration of Thrusters, sensors can't control descent

Nov 24, 2020
Visit site
Landstuhl Germany; Two Topics. 1. What were the reasons for changing the landing technique from what Curiosity and Opportunity used? 2. Other than proof of concept, what are the mission objectives for the helocopter. I assume it is rechargable, what is the fly (distance/time) and then recharge takes how long ?
My understanding is they switched from the "airbag" style landing (Pathfinder, Opportunity) to the rocket assisted delivery (Curiosity, Perseverance) to the Mars surface is that it allows them to land more capable (and therefore heavier) rovers, as the airbags do not provide enough cushioning once the payload is over 1,000 pounds or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts