Need help finding an old short story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aschilk1

Hey all,<br /><br />I am trying to recall the name of a sci-fi short story I read way back in middle school (we're talking maybe 20-25 years ago). I forgot about it for many years - and then recently, it just popped back into my head. I can vaguely describe the story, but I can not remember many of the details, nor the title/author. I just remember enjoying the story when I was young.<br /><br />It involved a human who (somehow) ended up in some strange alien landscape. There were no other apparent beings around. From what I recall, the ground outside was covered in tiles. Somehow, as if the world could sense his needs, the tiles would convert themselves into some kind of food or drink in order to sustain him. I believe that each time this happened, one of the tiles would be destroyed. I also recall there being a structure or small building of sorts in which the man would rest. But he had no idea how to get home, nor could he effectively communicate with whatever form of intelligence was controlling the tiles. It did seem though, that the world/tiles were trying to help him.<br /><br />I know this is an extremely vague and bizarre sounding description - but that's pretty much what I remember of the story. I wonder if anyone recalls any old short stories like this. Any hints would be appreciated!<br /><br />Thanks!

S

siriusdogstarone

doesn't ring a bell with me ?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#339966">E To The Square</font> </div>

N

nyrath

He did say that the details were hazy. But the tiles supplying water then disintegrating is an exact match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts