Need Help With Identifying A Star Formation

Dwight Huth

BANNED
Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
I took the following image of a star through my telescope a few months ago. I haven't been able to identify the star or stars around it as the Sky and Telescope locator on the website doesn't have a function of adding seconds for precise determination of the object being viewed. I think the star formation is part of Draco as I took the photo three minutes before I took a photo of Vega.

pqRrTAN.jpg

Recommend using Stellarium or Starry Night software. You can run simulations for your specific location and different dates and time too. Good sky or star charts created. Stellarium 0.19.2 is a free download, I received Starry Night with a new telescope recently. I use Starry Night Pro Plus 8, I enjoy very much with ephemeris generated too that I store in MS Excel. These software tools have excellent stars in their databases, brighter and very faint stars too not visible to unaided eye views or binocular users.

Two more tools here. MS Worldwide Telescope or MS WWT. I use this application as well. SkySafari too, but I think mostly for Apple IOS devices. Using software like this for my observation runs - helps me very much in my notes maintained in my stargazing log (MS ACCESS DB).

Latest posts