New American Space Station SDLV dry workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

soccerguy789

I have thaught a lot about this lately. we could build an awsome space station for very cheap with this thing. If you build a space station on the ground, it becomes significantly cheaper, and this HLV will allow us to do this. I do have an adition to this idea though. from every video i've seen, the EDS does not fire to attain orbit, this indicates that the fuel tanks would also be ataining orbit. now I have always figured that building stations out of shuttle fuel tanks was bogus, but if:<br /><br />A. the tanks are already ataining orbit<br />B. the tanks are already attached to habitable modules<br /><br />with this info, what if we simply left this "Astrolab" attached to its tanks below, with the materials needed to convert the tanks loaded inside. whether this makes it wet or dry is irrelevant. station crews could convert the tank into an enourmus amount of habitable space without needing to do a single space walk. NASA could decide whether to bother converting the tank once its up there, plus, the conversion could be done in a very short amount of time. if everything were designed to be asembled easily, you could have a station far larger than the ISS within a year of launch. it's the ISS but better, cheaper, and faster. what's not to love?

R

rubicondsrv

I don't think that that would resolve the orange cloud problem. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

V

ve7rkt

I would have thought the SDLV would have done away with the orange foam... with the payload on top, there's no worries about ice falling onto the orbiter, right?

R

rubicondsrv

as far as i know it still has the foam. the foam also helps slow the boil off of the propelant in the tank. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Swampcat

<font color="yellow">"...the EDS does not fire to attain orbit..."</font><br /><br />It's my understanding, from what was said in this speech by Dr. Griffin, that the EDS engine is indeed used to attain Earth orbit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="3" color="#ff9900"><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>------------------------------------------------------------------- </em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong><em>"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."</em></strong></font></p><p><font size="1" color="#993300"><strong>Thomas Jefferson</strong></font></p></font> </div>

D

darkenfast

Considering all the problems that using a "wet" tank entails, I suspect the cheapest solution would to build a new workshop using existing tank design as a starting point to save money, ala Skylab. However, it would be launched on top of a complete SDHLV. I think the "re-use the tanks" proposals cause more problems than they solve, however agravating it may be to see them burned up over the Indian or Pacific Oceans. The other question is, of course, what is the mission? And, is it worth it?

S

soccerguy789

Alright, It may cause more probelms to use the tank, but if at all possible, we should , because this is the only truely resonable oportunity to use those tanks. none of the other proposals involving shuttle tanks could provide access to the tank this easily or quickly. also, construction could be done from the already habitable station on top. you could just pressurize the tanks first, and then your just putting together components on a pressuized habitat. I dont think you are EVER going to get that much habitable space in orbit any easier than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts