New crater identified in Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chriscdc

A huge new crater has been found in the sahara between Egypt and Libya.<br /><br />As the space.com news article didn't say, the co-ords are<br />24degrees 40' North by 24degrees 58' East<br />

H

holger_isenberg

F

fatal291

im suprised you can still "find" stuff on Earth.. any news on how old it is or anything?

Y

yevaud

<i>The crater was discovered in satellite images by Boston University researchers Farouk El-Baz and Eman Ghoneim.</i><br /><br />Wild. Farouk is part of the Geography Department at BU. I've met him hundreds of times when I went to school there.<br /><br />He is regarded as one of the World's experts in Remote Sensing. So much so that a Star Trek "Next Generation" Shuttlepod is named the "El Baz," and in the lobby of his Center for Remote Sensing, there is a picture of him and Gene Roddenberry, with said ship.<br /><br />Farouk was also the person who determined that Louis Farrakham's "Million Man March" was not, in fact, remotely (joke half intended) a million people. More like 400,000.<br /><br />(BU - 1/2 a mile up the street from me)<br /><br />If he says it's so - it almost invariably is. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

J

JonClarke

Farouk El Baz was also responsible for a considerable proportion of the field geology training of the Apollo astronauts and sid a considerable amount of the initial analysis of the Mariner 9 and Viking images of Mars. he is one of the greatest!<br /><br />Jon <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts