New Forum Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mental_avenger

Recent events indicate that we need a new forum for Jokes and Humor. Those without a sense of humor, or those waiting to pounce on someone and put them down for perceived insensitivity can simply ignore the new forum.

I recently posted a joke which could have been considered marginally racist, so I ran it through a PC filter for the forum, in order to make it appear to refer only to a bomb carrying suicide bomber. I was personally attacked, even by a moderator who should have known better. I was referred to as “xenophobic” which is also associated with racism. Someone even showed a personal attack against a handicapped person in rebuttal.

Many forums have a separate forum for humor, where members can post jokes and humorous content without being attacked by thin skinned wishing to display righteous indignation.

Humor is a strange genre. It almost defies explanation. It often involves situations that include embarrassment, injury, or even death. Some documentaries and shows attempted to define humor and were marginally successful at best. The Funniest Joke In The World show could not declare a winner. Alan Funt of Candid Camera said that laughing at ourselves is the best medicine. When we laugh at someone in a distressing situation, we usually imagine ourselves in that situation. Many people in stressful situations relieve the tensions with a joke. That was an ongoing theme in the TV series MASH, and even the main theme of several episodes. Most of America’s Funniest Videos include someone being either injured or embarrassed.

There are some on SDC who apparently wait for an opportunity to belittle or shame another member for making a comment that they can jump on. Many “jokes” fall into that category due the nature of humor. I would like to see a forum where members can relieve stress by telling funny stories or jokes without being attacked. I am not advocating crude, lewd, or off color jokes, or jokes that are racist or violate any portion of the TOS. Rather, jokes and humorous anecdotes that are funny due to the situations they embody.

A

Archer17

Your joke didn't bother me MA. I thought of a terrorist but I also knew it was risqué. In fact without that element I wouldn't have found it as funny, but that's me. It's obvious some others here thought you crossed a line and whether that's due to a political correctness gene I appear to be lacking or because you posted it is something only your "critics" here can answer. I don't think a new forum is the answer. No matter where you post those kinds of jokes some folks will take offense. Ever think of changing your screen name and putting a (D) next to it? You might still get some heat, but I'm willing to bet that more than a few of those folks that complained the last time would suddenly find their sense of humor. ;)

A

a_lost_packet_

While it's true a lot of communities have Joke forums, they're usually restricted to the strictly "social" boards. This is a more focused board, centering around SDC and Space Related topics. IMO, a separate forum for humor would detract from the focus of the board. But, the spirit behind the intention is noteworthy.

Freespace is a prime spot for humor posts. There are multiple humor threads that remain fairly active. If there's not a thread focus that meshes with what you want, go ahead and create one. Humor threads are usually well received there.

Note: The Unexplained can sometimes host "satire" threads with strange phenomena as the subject matter.

S

silylene

I would like to bring the LiveScience threads back under the SDC fold....but that doesn't fit the owner's vision of SDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts