New improved titan landing picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alexiton

Hi guys nice to greet you. I'm a newbie, and I've been pottering around with Huygen's descent shots recently trying to make sense of things, and thought I'd submit some for perusal which alters perception of landing site somewhat: <br /><br />http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~alexiton/misc/preamble.htm<br /><br />Anyways, ignore the mindless pseudoscientific ramble, just letting my mind wander bit there for fun - Cheerio. <br />

S

spacechump

You've over-processed an image to the point of being unrecognizable. I don't know how you think you can pull any sort of conclusion out of it. I'll stick with the much clearer ESA images thank you.

A

alexiton

hi spacechump,<br /><br />admittedly mine is bit over exposed(unfortunately), but truth is I didn't process much at all(might surprise many), and no didn't use some sort of photoshop invert function LOL. Actually, my shot faithfully compiles raw data in a manner that doesn't involve any qualitative manipulation or weird ass filter set (other than a boring contrast shift at end) to derive result - It truly should be utterly representative of features it portrays contray to the original...<br /><br />Ciao

A

alexiton

Hi again spacechump,<br /><br />Fact is ESA don't even use all the relevant data when compiling that spectrally accurate orange hued rendition (albiet I'll conceed it's probably spectrally accurate). If you look through ALL the raw data it is obvious that they errantly - in my opinion - opted for the more intelligible frames and neglected some of more interesting somewhat anomalous ones.<br /><br />As I say, I'm serious when I say I didn't process my pictures much at all. I just believe that in some ways I utilised more of the available information set than ESA. <br /><br />Thanks for the criticism though. I'd rathered know I'm wrong than delude myself otherwise - hence reason for posting here. I'm not here to propose uncorroborated lunatic theories from kooksville.<br /><br />Anyways cheers and thanks again.

S

spacechump

Listen, all I'm saying is that even if you look at the grayscale images, you're still looking at an environment that would be close to a hazy twilight night here on earth. The image we're looking at does combine some infrared wavelengths in there as well and its been processed heavily already. The color image is the best they can do, using radiometric readings and infering the color from the wavelengths detected. The image doesn't need any contrast adjustments.

C

commander_keen

It sucks that we're reduced to trying to overprocess images from Titan just to get some semblence of recognition out of it. If only ESA had to the brains to at least pack a camera who's quality is on part with today's in the market.

S

spacechump

"It sucks that we're reduced to trying to overprocess images from Titan just to get some semblence of recognition out of it. If only ESA had to the brains to at least pack a camera who's quality is on part with today's in the market."<br /><br />Yes, because it is just that easy keen. *rolls eyes*

C

CalliArcale

Well, bear in mind that most folks have never worked on a space program. I have, although the mission requirements were quite different from Huygens (ours was an Earth orbiting spacecraft). You end up having to make an awful lot of compromises to get something that will satisfy all of the requirements. I'm just glad I didn't have to cope with trying to find a camera that was certified for that sort of environment. I just work with the software. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

N

najab

><i> If only ESA had to the brains to at least pack a camera who's quality is on part with today's in the market.</i><p>Of course, they would have to have built a time machine to take it back to 1997 when Cassini was launched!!!</p>

C

CalliArcale

Actually, they'd have to take it back even further, to when the specifications were written and equipment was purchased prior to assembly of each subsystem, which itself would have occured prior to system integration, which itself would have occured before the lengthy test and flight qualification of the entire vehicle.<br /><br />The set-back schedule for spaceflight can be amazingly long sometimes, especially for an outer solar system probe. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font color="#666699"><em>"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly . . . timey wimey . . . stuff."</em>  -- The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

R

remcook

I think I made this comment before:<br /><br />These cameras spend many years in space, a very harsh environment. Your 'market' camera doesn't even last that long on Earth, let alone after being shaken to bits at launch and the ride that follows...

A

alexiton

Hi again, <br /><br />Am still trying hard to render something visually reasonable from the Huygens' shots and have made a little bit of progress. New shots attempt to bring out some details I think ESA's surface pictures totally miss. Still though, a long ways to go methinks... <br /><br />http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~alexiton/index.htm

S

silylene old

While your picture is interesting in showing the landforms in a somewhat different arrangement than others, you conclusion of 'cryolife' is unsupported. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

L

le3119

I wish we could have seen the upper atmosphere in full color, the blueish nitrogen sky above the pink clouds.

T

tempel1

Dear friends <br />Go here please:<br />http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press-release-details.cfm?newsID=117 <br />” The spacecraft's VELOCITY RELATIVE TO THE SUN is at about 26 kilometers per second (about 59,250 miles per hour). Cassini is now more than 9 million kilometers (almost 6 million miles) from Earth”. <br /><br />Since our probe is launched from the earth, it has already a velocity of 65,000 miles per hour (earth's velocity). <br /><br />Why have NASA engineers steered Cassini on this trajectory? <br /> http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=h_cassini_trajectory_02.gif&cap=The <br /><br />Instead of increasing Cassini's velocity they have slowed down it at 59,250 miles per hour. <br /><br />NASA engineers think the earth is the center of our solar system and don't consider earth's velocity. <br /><br />In this wrong way Cassini has travelled for 2 200 000 000 miles to meet Saturn. <br /><br />Cassini would have been able to fly along a straight line travelling for less than 1 000 000 000 miles. <br /><br />65,000 miles per hour (earth velocity) + 36,000 miles per hour (spacecraft's velocity) = 101,000 miles per hour <br /><br />1 000 000 000 miles : 365 days : 24 hours : 101,000 miles per hour = 1.13 years <br /><br />If NASA engineers considered the earth's velocity, Cassini could meet Saturn in one year! <br />

A

alexiton

Hi, me again still pottering around.<br /><br />Anyways just rejinked the HRI landing shot in an attempt to extract something intelligible. For what it's worth, I think the suggested black ooze of the bottom frame is nothing more than lighting variances across the image affecting exposure.<br /><br />Titanian Dirt shot -<br /><br />http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/alexiton/landing%20picture%20-%20surface.htm <br /><br />Descent picture - strange world indeed!<br /><br />http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/alexiton/descent%20picture.htm <br /><br />Cheerio

S

silylene old

Here's a beautiful 3D picture of the Titan surface. Cross your eyes to see.<br /><br />Picture was created by Dilo on http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=2025<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

B

bonzelite

why didn't they equip that damn probe with a pan-cam? that technology already exists and existed before cassini was launched. it may be 40 years now before they get back to titan's surface.

S

silylene old

bonez, we have been through this argument before. There were a few very good thorough long threads debating this subject, immediately after Huygens landed.<br /><br />I too wish we had better photos. I know ever single scientist wishes this were so. Oh well. IIRC, one of the big limitations was the slow rate at which data could be transmitted back limited the pictures to be very small file sizes. Please look up the old threads for more information, and respond to one of them, rather than derailing this fine thread. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

B

bonzelite

titan's sky and surface seems way more luminous than a full moon lighting. unless that cam was way over-exposed, from what you may be saying?i'd think Pluto to be lit about as brightly as the full moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts