new launch site for manned launches on russian soil

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

extropiandreams

Perminov head of the russian space agency said the agency will propose a new location for manned launches on russian soil to the government in a few weeks. <br /><br />I believe they will build a new soyuz pad at a site with existing infrastructure - kapustin yar or svobodny. There was big resistance against closing the svobodny cosmodrome, so they might choose it as part of a program to boost the economy in the far east.<br /><br />While perminov said that it would not rival baikonur, i believe if they can launch both soyuz and progress from russia they will do so.<br /><br />As i wrote sometimes before, baikonur has a questionable future. russia is rerouting their oil and gas pipelines, building new early warning radars - to avoid being dependent on foreign countries. It's spending billions on this projects. So why not a new spaceport ? As soon as they will have this pad they'll cancel their agreement with kasachstan. If they want baikonur to stay active, the russians will say "fine, but without a rent". <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

T

tohaki

They should put it as far south as possible then, but Dagestan might not be the best idea.

C

ckikilwai

I doubt the Russians will ever close the Baikonur cosmodrome, but it will probably be used to put pression on kazachstan to reduce their price.<br />But I don't think Kazackstan will ever rent the base for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts