New Mexico county passes spaceport tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Article....<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><b>N.M. County Passes Spaceport Tax</b><br /><br />(AP) -- Voters in a southern New Mexico county have approved a tax to raise an estimated $49 million toward a $198 million tourism spaceport, according to unofficial returns Thursday.<br /><br />Residents of Dona Ana County voted on the sales tax Tuesday in what backers said was a make-or-break election for the state-supported Spaceport America.<br /><br />"This positive vote for the spaceport ballot initiative means America's new frontier begins in southern New Mexico," Gov. Bill Richardson said Thursday. "I'm proud that the people of Dona Ana County chose a high-tech and high-wage future, with better math and science education, and expanded opportunities for young men and women right here in New Mexico."<br /><br />The complex would cover 27 square miles of desert near White Sands Missile Range, where the U.S. launched its first rocket after World War II. Its anchor tenant would be British millionaire Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic.<br /><br />Branson envisions starting suborbital rocket flights, at about $200,000 a person, in 2009. Eventually, the spaceport could offer trips into orbit and beyond. <br /> /><p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Make sure to copy this into the other thread that addressed this issue.<br /><br />If I could only remember which one it was, I'd do it for you.<br /><br />IIRC it was 0.25% sales tax increase. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

docm

Done. It was in M&L. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

I couldn't remember where, thanx.<br /><br />MW <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts