New solar system paradigm required to explain IBEX data?

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

MeteorWayne":ycyqod8m said:
Actually the data showed neutral (i.e. non-ionized) atoms- I'm not sure what it means which is why I have been silent.

I find myself to be in pretty much the same boat by the way. I've been trying to do a bit of research on the actual detectors on the spacecraft and how they work. FYI, this paper seems to be one of the better technical papers I've come across. You might also find it useful.

I'd like to see an (a better) overlay of the galaxy in white light with these new IBEX images. The press conference seemed to show one galaxy aligned image that showed a similar ring like structure, but not at quite the same angle if I understood it correctly. It also seems as though the IBEX emissions seem to occur over a much broader area. The fact it has "fine" structure however makes me think it could be galaxy structure related. I still have not seen or read the papers yet, so I'm doing some background research on the detectors in the mean time and ran across that paper that I thought you might find interesting.

It should be noted that while the atoms are now neutral, they may not have been so prior to interactions at the heliosphere. The fact that these particles go up to much higher velocities than the outbound particles would suggest that at least some of the kinetic energy of the detected neutral particle is external (to the solar system) in origin.

It seems to me that most logical source of energetic particles I can think of would be other stars in our immediate vicinity. I would expect some galactic alignment to occur, with perhaps some sort of offset related to the interstellar EM fields. The IBEX team did seem to believe that the angular alignment followed the external field lines rather than the physical galaxy, but I'd really like to see a better galaxy overlay before jumping to any conclusions. The fact they are neutral atoms at the point of detection does not mean they have always been neutral in the past, Unless they were ionized particles at some point during the interstellar traveling process, I don't see how galactic EM fields would have any affect on containing or directing neutral particles.

M

MeteorWayne

michaelmozina":1nqb2d8p said:
It should be noted that while the atoms are now neutral, they may not have been so prior to interactions at the heliosphere. The fact that these particles go up to much higher velocities than the outbound particles would suggest that at least some of the kinetic energy of the detected neutral particle is external (to the solar system) in origin.

It seems to me that most logical source of energetic particles I can think of would be other stars in our immediate vicinity. I would expect some galactic alignment to occur, with perhaps some sort of offset related to the interstellar EM fields. The IBEX team did seem to believe that the angular alignment followed the external field lines rather than the physical galaxy, but I'd really like to see a better galaxy overlay before jumping to any conclusions. The fact they are neutral atoms at the point of detection does not mean they have always been neutral in the past, Unless they were ionized particles at some point during the interstellar traveling process, I don't see how galactic EM fields would have any affect on containing or directing neutral particles.

That's pretty much what I got out it as well michael. The SDC article says the atoms became neutral by giving up an electron, I don't reacll that from the news conf, but my head was swimming with an unfamiliar subject.

IIRC, they said they also detected intergalactic neutral atoms (at lower energy) as well, but again, my recollecton is kind of fuzzy. I will have to wait for SCience to arrive to say more.
I'll be camping out by the mailbox :)

M

michaelmozina

trumptor":1w62akm1 said:
Ohhhh, ok. Sorry for my slowness :oops:

So, in layman's terms, the particles being "more energetic" would mean that this area of the heliopause is noticeably "warmer" for some reason?

FYI, I think everyone is just coming up to speed on the IBEX system so don't feel bad. In this case the term "more energetic" is probably best thought of in terms of velocity and kinetic energy. They found neutral oxygen atoms as well as neutral helium and hydrogen. The atomic weight of the particle adds to the particle's overall kinetic energy state as does the velocity. In this case they have seen relatively slow moving particles as well as relatively fast moving particles that in some cases exceed the outbound kinetic energy by a factor of three to one. It would seem that the term "more energetic" is related to the particle velocity and kinetic energy rather than an ionization state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts