Next Step in Space coalition

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

Business Wire.....

Coalition Supports NASA’s New Plan for Space Exploration

New Direction Will Create Private Sector Jobs and Keep U.S. as World Leader in Space Exploration

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Next Step In Space, a coalition of over thirty businesses and organizations dedicated to scientific advancement and increased understanding of the Earth and our solar system through expanded human space flight, today announced their support for NASA’s new strategy for space exploration.

The President outlined an ambitious effort to foster the development of path-breaking technologies; increase the number, scope, and pace of manned and unmanned space missions; make human spaceflight safer and more efficient; and help create thousands of jobs. Included in his vision for NASA is a sequence of deep-space destinations matched to growing capabilities, progressing step-by-step until we are able to reach Mars.
>
>
Next Step in Space supports the following important features in the President’s plan:

* Advances America’s commitment to human spaceflight and exploration of the solar system, with bold new vision and timetable for reaching new frontiers deeper in space.

* Increases NASA’s budget by $6 billion over 5 years.

* Leads to more than 2,500 additional jobs in Florida’s Kennedy Space Center area by 2012, as compared to the prior path.

* Begins major work on building a new heavy lift rocket sooner, with a commitment to decide in 2015 on the specific heavy-lift rocket that will take us deeper into space.

* Initiates a vigorous new technology development and test program to increase the capabilities and reduce the cost of future exploration activities.

* Launches a steady stream of precursor robotic exploration missions to scout locations and demonstrate technologies to increase the safety and capability of future human missions, while also providing scientific dividends.

* Jump starts a new commercial space transportation industry to provide safe and efficient crew and cargo transportation to the Space Station, projected to create over 10,000 jobs nationally over the next five years.

* Continues the development of a modified Orion Crew Exploration Vehicle to provide stand-by emergency escape capabilities for the International Space Station.

* Puts the space program on a more ambitious trajectory that pushes the frontiers of innovation to propel us on a new journey of innovation and discovery deeper into space.
>
To date, more than thirty businesses and organizations have joined Next Step in Space. Members of the coalition include:

4Frontiers Corporation
Anadarko Industries LLC
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
Associated Industries of Florida
Blue Smoke
Cisneros Innovation Strategies
Commercial Space Gateway
Commercial Spaceflight Federation
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
eSpaceTickets.com
Esther Dyson/ED Ventures
Google
Information Universe
MarsDrive, Inc.
Murphy International Enterprises
National AeroSpace Training and Research Center (NASTAR Center)
National Space Society (NSS)
Next Giant Leap
Odyssey Moon LLC
Odyssey Space Research
Orbital Outfitters
Paul Price Enterprises
Phillips & Company
Satwest LLC
Sierra Nevada Corporation
Space Adventures
Space Coast Economic Development Commission
Space Florida
Space Frontier Foundation
Space Infrastructure Foundation, Inc.
Space Tourism Society (STS)
SpaceX

Special Aerospace Services, LLC
Virgin Galactic
X-Prize Foundation

N

neutrino78x

I agree. Some people on this site think no one should be allowed to go into space unless they are a US astronaut flying on a US Government rocket. But, do we not all wish for a future like that depicted in Star Wars? Not the Empire aspect, but I mean, the idea that going into space is relatively routine, and most people there are not Navy, but Merchant Mariners.

To those of you who are against "New Space", and claim that it would somehow result in America not being a spacefaring country, I ask, are we a seafaring country????

This is a US Flag ship, the MV Discovery. She is not a US Navy commissioned vessel, but she flies the US Flag, is subject to US law regarding wages and treatment of the crew, safety, and so forth, and is Made in the USA. The majority of US Flag ships are like this, not like the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise, which is also US Flag, but an official Navy vessel.

So...are we a seafaring country? The majority of ships flying the US Flag are not US Government vessels. Most US sailors are not US Navy men (although probably a majority of merchant mariners are navy vets).

--Brian

V

Valcan

neutrino78x":3nvve9s7 said:
I agree. Some people on this site think no one should be allowed to go into space unless they are a US astronaut flying on a US Government rocket. But, do we not all wish for a future like that depicted in Star Wars? Not the Empire aspect, but I mean, the idea that going into space is relatively routine, and most people there are not Navy, but Merchant Mariners.

To those of you who are against "New Space", and claim that it would somehow result in America not being a spacefaring country, I ask, are we a seafaring country????

This is a US Flag ship, the MV Discovery. She is not a US Navy commissioned vessel, but she flies the US Flag, is subject to US law regarding wages and treatment of the crew, safety, and so forth, and is Made in the USA. The majority of US Flag ships are like this, not like the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise, which is also US Flag, but an official Navy vessel.

So...are we a seafaring country? The majority of ships flying the US Flag are not US Government vessels. Most US sailors are not US Navy men (although probably a majority of merchant mariners are navy vets).

--Brian

I dont see why anyone would think you cant have a foregin power with ships capable of manned flight just as much as the US. I dont know anyone with such a veiw. (Dont worry i know theres a few out there but id say 99% of people dont share that veiw)

E

emudude

Just by looking at the companies listed in the Next Step coalition, I'm willing to bet that we have some exciting times ahead of us :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts