Night Sky Projection

• Thread starter emperor_of_localgroup
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

emperor_of_localgroup

I am not sure if this topics have been discussed before because I do not visit this part of the forums often. If yes, please direct me to the thread with a link.

In this days of computer projections (on large screen) of live audio video signals, I am wondering, is it possible to transmit live views in a telescope to a large projection screen? In other words, live video signals from a telescope to a projector (for example Maxima), with or without the help of a computer?

There are many benefits of this projection. The telescope will remain outdoor with only one operator but the night sky seen by the operator will also be seen on a large projection screen (through a projector) by many people in a room, such as a classroom. Scenes on the projection screen will change as the operator pans or zooms the telescope.

If such a system already exists or if one can build such a system using various components, please list the parts necessary to build such a system, include brand names and model names of parts, if possible.

M

MeteorWayne

Any CCD feeds the signal to a computer live. Hook up a projector to the computer. Voila!

Equipment list: Any CCD camera, any computer, any projector that can take the computer output.

E

emperor_of_localgroup

MeteorWayne":1te7rrx7 said:
Any CCD feeds the signal to a computer live. Hook up a projector to the computer. Voila!

Equipment list: Any CCD camera, any computer, any projector that can take the computer output.

You can't be serious!!!! ha ha ha.

Is it this simple?

With CCD camera I can even go wireless!!!

M

MeteorWayne

Yes I am Sirius. That means I'm very bright!! :lol:

Yeah, it really is that simple.

The one limitation is that a live feed only can show brighter objects like stars and planets. For galaxies and nebula, the frames must be integrated over a period of time, then displayed, but that is what the computer is doing when you are creating images. So the CCD software will give you a screen image, which you can project. It ain't exactly real time, since for fainter objects it might take 5 minutes for a quality image. But it is showing what the scope and CCD are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.