No Dark Matter or Dark Energy - Dark Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jsmoody

Dark Fluid<br /><br />"The idea is similar to the "ether," an invisible medium that physicists once thought light waves travelled through. Einstein's relativity did away with the need for such a medium, but cosmologists have recently found that an ether-like substance can mimic dark matter."<br /><br />Would that explain why the speed of light is not infinite? <br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

J

jsmoody

So...nobody has any comments on this? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

M

mindopener9

I read about this a bout a week ago on a british science site that was linked to a Yahoo! article. I like this idea very much as Dark Energy AND Matter seemed like too many unknowns for cosmologists to know next to nothing about. This makes more sense somehow. Stands up to tests, so far. I commented on this 2 days ago in a few different threads on this section, but no one seemed interested enuf to comment. <br />As to whether it explains why light has a speed limit, I can not speculate. Perhaps everything in OUR Universe is connected to everything else, after all. Tenuously, of course. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We must progress and expand, or we will stagnate and die. </div>

J

jsmoody

It might be that I just don't really understand very well, but I was thinking that in space, why should there be a speed limit on light, or anything else for that matter. There should be no resistance at all. Light travels slower through air or water (resistance?) so maybe <i>something</i> is resisting in a vacuum as well and limiting the speed??? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> No amount of belief makes something a fact" - James Randi </div>

M

mindopener9

I'm still amazed that light moves as fast as it does, once it leaves it's source, it can slow down through a refracting medium, and then, upon exiting it can speed back up again. Fantastic properties. Perhaps this new Dark Fluid, if proven to exist, will further hamper man's effort's to travel to other stars. A thought just came to me....<br />What if entanglement between two separated, but kin atoms is somehow related to this all-permeating Fluid?<br />Something to consider? I saw a website a while back that spoke of far linking connections thru magnetic and gravity fields that had similar attributes. Hmmmm..... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> We must progress and expand, or we will stagnate and die. </div>

V

vandivx

"Would that explain why the speed of light is not infinite? "<br />---<br /><br />not quite, rather it would explain why the speed of light is defined at all (to be some specific speed that is)<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

H

henco

Good morning everybody i am new here and would like to say hallo.<br />I have been reading these threads a while now and had the though that Dark matter and Dark Energy perhaps could be infiltration from other dimensions as explained in the Brane theory ?

B

baulten

@ henco:<br />That is one possibility. If brane cosmology is somehow proven true, it could answer questions regarding dark matter, dark energy, weakness of gravity, etc.<br /><br />Back on topic, the idea of a "fluid" that fills the "vacuum" of space has been around for a while... It's interesting that it might prove to be the real solution to both dark matter and dark energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts