No moon tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jwork

is it natural for there to be no moon in the sky sometimes? even though there is supposed to be a quarter moon and a clear sky, when i look into the sky, there is no moon at all. if this is the case, wat major things should we be worried about without a moon?

V

vogon13

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>Ignoring atmospheric refraction, obstructions on your horizon, clouds, your location being drastically north or south of the equator, and the few days per orbit when the moon is roughly lined up in the direction of the sun, you&nbsp; should expect the moon to be visible 50% of the time (averaged over a year).&nbsp; Factoring in all that&nbsp; stuff on the other hand, and it will be significantly less than 50%.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Ignoring atmospheric refraction, obstructions on your horizon, clouds, your location being drastically north or south of the equator, and the few days per orbit when the moon is roughly lined up in the direction of the sun, you&nbsp; should expect the moon to be visible 50% of the time (averaged over a year).&nbsp; Factoring in all that&nbsp; stuff on the other hand, and it will be significantly less than 50%.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by vogon13</DIV><br /><br />Vogon is correct. Roughly, the moon is in the sky about half of every 24 hours. Near the Full Moon, that is roughly from sunset to sunrise; i.e. all night. A week later it rises around midnight and sets around noon. A week after that it is right next to the sun (New Moon) and rarely directely in front of it (solar eclipse) so it rises at sunrise and sets at sunset. Another week later it rises around noon and sets about midnight. 1 more week and it's full moon again.</p><p>MW</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>is it natural for there to be no moon in the sky sometimes? even though there is supposed to be a quarter moon and a clear sky, when i look into the sky, there is no moon at all. if this is the case, wat major things should we be worried about without a moon? <br /> Posted by jwork</DIV></p><p>I saw the moon in the sky this morning, as I was driving to work. &nbsp;It's in it's last quarter phase, which means you have to get up before dawn to see it. &nbsp;Obviously, since it orbits the Earth, it cannot be in the same place in the sky every night, nor can it remain in the same phase from night to night. &nbsp;So, yes, it's completely natural that you often will not see the moon in the sky at all on any given evening, if that is the only time you ever look up.&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

Saiph

Well, The moon is up 50% of the time, but the new moon and crescent phases make it hard (or impoosibble) to spot, as it's just a sliver of surface visable (reflecting light towards us) and it's in the middle of the bright day sky. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

A

AstroHurricane001

The moon might have been below the horizon. On a clear night, you don't always see the moon. For example, you won't see the moon if you look tonight after dusk, but it is sometimes possible to see the moon in daylight. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The moon might have been below the horizon. On a clear night, you don't always see the moon. For example, you won't see the moon if you look tonight after dusk, but it is sometimes possible to see the moon in daylight. <br />Posted by AstroHurricane001</DIV></p><p>Actually, the crescent moon <em>will</em> be visible tonight after dusk, above the brilliant Venus.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

Saiph

<p>:)&nbsp; I remember a discussion with an elementary school class about the moon.&nbsp; I explained that it's a mistake to think the Moon is only up at night, that you can see it during the day.&nbsp; The tearcher pulled me aside and said very matter of factly that I was wrong...until I upped the ante and asked if we could take the kids outside, that, barring an unlucky cloud, we could see it immediately, in broad daylight.&nbsp; Oddly enough she said we couldn't do that...and never said I may be right.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Go figure. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts