Observed Fireball Saturday Nite around 9pm-9:05pm CDT

• Thread starter skywatcherd0085
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skywatcherd0085

I observed a fireball in the sky Sat Nite as we were sitting on the porch enjoying the nice evening temperatures.<br /><br />I seen it just slightly West of due South and was about<br />55 deg above the horizon to the south, moving west.<br /><br />It seemed to have had an unusually long hang time and<br />the speed seemed slower than what I am used to seeing. Usually they zip by and you have just enough time to catch it out of the corner of your eye.<br /><br />The best way to explain what it looked like, I saw it with the naked eye just above the trees across the street, and it had what looked like the body of a comet ( that<br />kind of shape to it.<br /><br />With the head of it being of hot bright white, and from the head of it, it was of a blue to a turquoise color to the tip of its tail, with a copper to gold glitter around the periferrie(sp) of the tail.<br /><br />It looked as though it could have been traveling over<br />Ark.,Louisianna,Oklahoma, Texas moving west. It looked<br />like it could have impacted in Western Texas, Okla. or near Arizona.<br /><br />Was wondering if anyone else Observed this also!!

M

MeteorWayne

Perhaps you could try filling out a Fireball report form here <br />This is the North American Meteor Network; the data is also forwarded to the International Meteor Organization.<br /><br />Meteor Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

skywatcherd0085

Thank you very much for that information MeteorWayne,<br />apreciate that a great deal, was wondering where to send a report like that. It was rather beautiful, and<br />rather different from ones I had observed in the past.<br /><br />Me and my wife was counting them the one nite during<br />Leonids a few yrs ago and counted 219 in an hr. during what was being called a meteor storm.<br /><br />Thanks again !! Dwayne

M

MeteorWayne

My peak count during the 2001 Leonids was almost (but not quite) 600 per hour.<br />A morning I'll never forget! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts