Observing 300 Million Galaxies; Dark Energy Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qzzq

From the University of Chicago Chronicle: <ul type="square">Scientists will observe 300 million ancient galaxies to measure mysterious dark energy<br /><br />University scientists have co-founded an international collaboration that seeks to measure with new precision the mysterious force causing the universe to fly apart. Plans call for the project, named the Dark Energy Survey, to collect data on approximately 300 million galaxies spanning two-thirds of the history of the universe. <br /><br />The survey could begin making observations as early as the fall of 2009. Although the DES remains more than four years away, more ambitious surveys will take at least a decade to produce results. “I don’t want to wait that long,” said Joshua Frieman, Professor in Astronomy & Astrophysics and the College. <br /><br />According to physics accounting methods, dark energy makes up 70 percent of the universe. Dark energy might be a manifestation of Albert Einstein’s cosmological constant, a force that acts at all times and in all places throughout the universe. It might also be a breakdown of Einstein’s theory of gravity on vast scales. <br /><br />“It essentially requires gravity to be repulsive,” said Wayne Hu, Associate Professor in Astronomy & Astrophysics. “That’s possible under our standard theories of gravity, but it’s not expected.” Whatever dark energy is, Frieman said, “it’s likely to have profound implications for fundamental physics.”<br /><br />... <i>( More at the link )</i></ul> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p>***</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.