Odd motion of moon and stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starchild218

Yes, yes, yes......how could anyone think WE are the GREATEST, MOST GRAND DESIGN EVER to be formed and evolved with some sense of rational thinking. I have always believed we ARE NOT ALONE in all this open space of our galaxy and all the other billions of galaxies.
I often look at the sky at night and daytime as well, and looking at the sky earlier I noticed a LOT of movement of the "lights" in the sky tonight that are suppose to be stars ;) , even the "stars" of the Big Dipper were moving also. This is not the first time I and a few other friends of mine have noticed things moving in the sky that cannot be explained as stars, helicopters,jets, planes, metorites, nor any other rational answer as to why these things be happening.
So yes, I do believe we are not all there is to life. I just pray I could live to witness the day when we can all learn the truth about what goes on over our heads. And, if you believe in The Father, The Son & The Holy Ghost, or however you like to phrase it. What does that say??? They are NOT from this planet and they did not use our means of transportation, if you believe in God then how can you NOT believe in life other than just here????
And I also agree with the ones who stated that life the way we know it is NOT the only way for life to exist elsewhere. :idea:
The Bible tells of many examples as well.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: Do you think there could be another planet with life?

starchild218":1wi3xwsr said:
Yes, yes, yes......how could anyone think WE are the GREATEST, MOST GRAND DESIGN EVER to be formed and evolved with some sense of rational thinking. I have always believed we ARE NOT ALONE in all this open space of our galaxy and all the other billions of galaxies.
I often look at the sky at night and daytime as well, and looking at the sky earlier I noticed a LOT of movement of the "lights" in the sky tonight that are suppose to be stars ;) , even the "stars" of the Big Dipper were moving also. This is not the first time I and a few other friends of mine have noticed things moving in the sky that cannot be explained as stars, helicopters,jets, planes, metorites, nor any other rational answer as to why these things be happening.
So yes, I do believe we are not all there is to life. I just pray I could live to witness the day when we can all learn the truth about what goes on over our heads. And, if you believe in The Fsther, The Son & The Holy Ghost, or however you like to phrase it. What does that say??? They are NOT from this planet and they did not use our means of transportation, if you believe in God then how can you NOT believe in life other than just here????
And I also agree with the ones who stated that life the way we know it is NOT the only way for life to exist elsewhere. :idea:
The Bible tells of many examples as well.

When you see the stars of the Big Dipper moving, that is an optical illusion. I know you don't want to believe it, but it's true. The eye-brain does funny things sometimes. As a meteor observer, I have spent thousands of hours watching the night sky, and have seen all the tricks that can be played (as well as tens of thousands of meteors, and thousands of satellites)
MW

S

starchild218

Ok MeteorWayne, you can believe what you want, and I'm willing to say yes, I believe the eye & brain can convince one of many things. That very thing has happened to me a number of times & those are the times I or someone else observing the same, realize that was just in my mind.
And if its as you say, 'in my mind,' then why don't I see that 'illusion' every time I; or any of the other people I'm talking to in a different location from me, or sometimes there with me; look at The Dipper or any other of those lights moving around in the sky that should not be moving and see the same as I :?: :
I know some are planets, I've become aware of those and their location in the night sky, some others I just don't know what they are and sometimes neither do any of my stargazing friends. True, we are just mere amateurs & I have yet to get a telescope, have four different sets of binoculars for what good they do..none... and I am expanding & plan to expand more my understanding of astronomy & things related. I also know; according to what I heard on NASA Channel; low earth orbit objects are best seen between 4 & 6 am , I've seen some of those as well, generally know their position.
I also have spent many an hour watching the night/day sky as well. I do not profess to be a know all, cause I'm not.
But I still believe some things are not so easy to explain.... :?

M

MeteorWayne

Satellites are visible in winter for a few hours after sunset and a few hours before sunrise. In the summer, they are visible all night long (this for my location at 41 degrees north). Between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, I suspect (but haven't checked) that they are visible much of the night all year long, with not too much seasonal variation; also there are many more satellites that can be seen the closer you are to the equator.

S

starchild218

MeteorWayne":5uew8kjx said:
Satellites are visible in winter for a few hours after sunset and a few hours before sunrise. In the summer, they are visible all night long (this for my location at 41 degrees north). Between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, I suspect (but haven't checked) that they are visible much of the night all year long, with not too much seasonal variation; also there are many more satellites that can be seen the closer you are to the equator.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK Mr All Knowing & Most Informed of Us All... :geek: !!!...My Bad... ;) . Since I know not what I; myself & others that saw the same thing; think, why don't you tell me. I know the moon had its own thing goin on here these last few days.
.....But Most All Knowing please tell me; one of the less informed; why has the moon looked like it was kinda moving from side to side, these last few nites?......And just HOW does a satellite move in the sky when they are visible to the naked eye...day or nite...?
...............And also, when YOU say,"you suspect, but haven't checked" :geek: ...don't you think it would be wise to check before YOU go quoting something....Oh, my bad again... :roll: ....once more I 4got...u don't have to check, cause YOU already have ALL the answers................... :twisted:
..........When I grow up, I hope...NOT 2 BE AS SMART AS YOU...!!!... :lol:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

M

MeteorWayne

Why the snotty attitude?

I have given you information learned from decades of experience watching and learning about the sky. I wasn't rude with you, just sharing information.

I never claimed to be all knowing or most informed, just obviously more informed than you (though I didn't say that).

Again, if you saw the moon or stars moving erratically, IT'S A FREAKIN' OPTICAL ILLUSION!!!!!xxxxx*****

Satellites move in straight lines, but optical illusion can make it appear that their path is not straight. That is a basic fact of physics, which any grade school kid could confirm and understand if they put in the slightest bit of effort.

I didn't have time to check, and to be honest, with your attitude, why should I bother? I gave you a tool for research. You haven't said where you live, what time you saw anything, what direction it was moving, what part of the sky it was in. So basically you have told us nothing useful to help you figure it out if you were interested in a real answer. Instead you bellyache like a spoiled brat.

It seems very unlikely that you will ever be as informed (not smart) as me because you ask questions and refuse to even consider the answers. Your loss, not mine.

Since this discussion is not related to the topic under discussion (Do you think there could be another planet with life?, in case you forgot), I will split it into it's very own thread in The Unexplained, since you have not given us enough information to explain it, and refuse to even listen to the suggestions given to you.

S

starchild218

MeteorWayne said:
Why the snotty attitude?

I have given you information learned from decades of experience watching and learning about the sky. I wasn't rude with you, just sharing information.

I never claimed to be all knowing or most informed, just obviously more informed than you (though I didn't say that).

Again, if you saw the moon or stars moving erratically, IT'S A FREAKIN' OPTICAL ILLUSION!!!!!xxxxx*****

Satellites move in straight lines, but optical illusion can make it appear that their path is not straight. That is a basic fact of physics, which any grade school kid could confirm and understand if they put in the slightest bit of effort.

I didn't have time to check, and to be honest, with your attitude, why should I bother? I gave you a tool for research. You haven't said where you live, what time you saw anything, what direction it was moving, what part of the sky it was in. So basically you have told us nothing useful to help you figure it out if you were interested in a real answer. Instead you bellyache like a spoiled brat.

It seems very unlikely that you will ever be as informed (not smart) as me because you ask questions and refuse to even consider the answers. Your loss, not mine.

Since this discussion is not related to the topic under discussion (???? :shock:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
.....As far as rude goes....YES, you have been MOST RUDE , not just to me,, but to ANYONE that dare to differ from your ALL-KNOWING opinion of right & wrong.....
......And NO, you don't have to say YOU are the most SUPREME of all us insignificant little beings here on Earth. YOU don't take even just one milisecond..?"u know what I mean.."to consider the other persons ideas as pausible!!!!!
........I only stated an opinion, MY OPINION, I not once put down on your ideas nor anyone else...But OOOOOOH NOOOOOOO, NOT YOU!!!!! You MR. KNOW ALL SUPREME BEING OF ALL SPACE, PLACE & TIME........................
How do we compete with you....we can't, cause once more YOU come stating something that YOU did NOT tell us where YOU got it from.
..........I AM NOT A SPOILED BRAT...everything I've acheived, I had to WORK FOR IT !!!!!.......And like I said, THE FIRST TIME.....if you are going to quote something tell me where; except in YOUR world of all knowing wisdom; you got it from!!!!!
.....It don't matter WHERE I AM.....U ALREADY GOT AN ANSWER....I DID NOT START a personal attack on you, but YOU start one with ANYONE whose ideas DON'T measure up to yours......
.........YOU are NOTHING MORE than HOT AIR closing in on itself!!!!!
.........A BLACK HOLE HAS MORE LIFE IN IT THAN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A

a_lost_packet_

starchild218":6i9ikifx said:
...When I grow up...

I think you're overestimating your chances if you continue with the attitude you've presented. MeteorWayne, a very knowledgeable fellow, explained some natural phenomenon that may account for what you saw. Obviously, you don't know exactly what it was you saw or this entire discussion would be moot. MeteorWayne provided you with some helpful possibilities, not a lecture which belittled your ignorance. If you can't accept someone trying to be helpful then don't bother to post.

A

a_lost_packet_

starchild218":2cjv30x0 said:
...I AM NOT A SPOILED BRAT...everything I've acheived, I had to WORK FOR IT !!!!!...

Cutting your parents' grass for movie money twice a month doesn't count. It's a step in the right direction but, don't try to pull rank with it.

M

Mee_n_Mac

starchild218":vgcz3iaf said:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OK Mr All Knowing & Most Informed of Us All... :geek: !!!...My Bad... ;) . Since I know not what I; myself & others that saw the same thing; think, why don't you tell me. I know the moon had its own thing goin on here these last few days.
.....But Most All Knowing please tell me; one of the less informed; why has the moon looked like it was kinda moving from side to side, these last few nites?......And just HOW does a satellite move in the sky when they are visible to the naked eye...day or nite...?
...............And also, when YOU say,"you suspect, but haven't checked" :geek: ...don't you think it would be wise to check before YOU go quoting something....Oh, my bad again... :roll: ....once more I 4got...u don't have to check, cause YOU already have ALL the answers................... :twisted:
..........When I grow up, I hope...NOT 2 BE AS SMART AS YOU...!!!... :lol:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I didn't see the Moon "kinda moving from side to side" (other than it's normal orbit) so perhaps you could explain how it is that you did (other than being drunk or high) ? When you see things others don't you might ask yourself why that is. As for asking how a satellite moves in the sky ... I get the impression you're not asking about the normal orbital motion. What are you asking ? As for the rest of your rant, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

A

Archer17

Hi, starchild, this is Steve Quiver from Celestial Management. Don't listen to those 'know-it-alls.' It sounds to me like the threads we use to hold up the stars, moons, and planets in your quadrant are losing their rigidity. This happens more often than you think and is often exacerbated by the solar wind. I'll have someone from Celestial Maintenance out and up there to re-string those bad boys as soon as they finish up applying another coat of DayGlo to the sun, which you might have noticed, has lost it's lustre as of late.

:)

C

CalliArcale

I've seen the fixed stars, the Moon, and the planets all appear to drift in the sky. Usually this is while I am trying to spot satellites; it seems to happen more frequently when I desire to see movement. But it happens at other times too. It is generally quite disappointing when I check their position against some fixed reference (distance to a nearby tree or the eave of my house) and see that it is unchanged. Whenever I have seen it, it has definitely been an optical illusion, and I think it is likely this is what you saw, starchild218.

That said, I have to agree with what you said about how astonishing it is that we could think "WE are the GREATEST, MOST GRAND DESIGN EVER to be formed and evolved with some sense of rational thinking." The night sky especially gives me that feeling, for it is so vast, so breathtakingly *beautiful* that it is humbling. These stars have burned for billions of years, and in many cases, will burn for billions more. Humanity is less than an eyeblink in that vastness.

I do believe in God. He created the Universe, and life arose within it. I believe he intended that to happen, and also that there is every reason to think it may have happened more than once -- perhaps even more than once here on Earth. (Are all life forms *really* related? All the ones we're familiar with, are, but I would not be shocked if some really remote extremophile were discovered, perhaps on the ocean floor or deep within rock strata, which was completely novel.) I also believe God sent His only Son to die for us. Why us? Looking at the vastness of the cosmos, I find it difficult to believe we are the greatest, most grand design ever. So why would he choose us? Perhaps we are merely the first to arise (at least here on Earth) with a tiny glimmer of the capacity to understand Him, and so He reached out to us. It is possible He reaches out to others on distant worlds, but there is no way to tell if those others even exist. At least not yet. ;)

Don't look to moving stars in the sky as your sole evidence of the splendor of the Universe. There is so much more! Just looking at the pictures sent back by Cassini makes me want to weep for joy sometimes.

O

OleNewt

It really IS an optical illusion, except that it's not the stuff in the sky that's moving--it's you. When standing and looking up, your body is doing what an overhanging traffic-signal pole is doing in a high wind. You sway because your body is off-balance and trying to self-correct without a good point of reference.

The same thing happens if you just close your eyes and try to walk somewhere.

C

CalliArcale

It's not always due to the body swaying; I've even seen it happen when I'm lying flat on my back, with my head resting firmly on the ground. It's the lack of reference points that do it.

A

a_lost_packet_

CalliArcale":1xwjaj2n said:
It's not always due to the body swaying; I've even seen it happen when I'm lying flat on my back, with my head resting firmly on the ground. It's the lack of reference points that do it.

When your eyes don't have any clear reference points for depth and you're looking at a small point like that in the dark, you can sometimes catch the micro-movements your eye does naturally or be subjected to a bit of drifting.

[url=http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0385814601001006:1xwjaj2n said:
The stability of human eye orientation during visual fixation and imagined fixation in three dimensions[/url]":1xwjaj2n]

Abstract

Objective: The stabilization of eye movements during voluntary fixation is believed to depend upon the visual feed back, since gaze becomes less stable in the darkness. The temporal variability of human eye orientation in both the horizontal and vertical direction is typically no more than a few minutes of arc. Ocular stability in terms of torsion has, however, been less understood. Methods: In this study, the stability of gaze in the three dimensions (horizontal, vertical, and torsional) was investigated using a video image analysis system. In ten healthy subjects, eye movements were recorded after fixating the eye on a target in the light and also in the dark (imaginary target). The standard deviations of the eye movements in the three dimensions were calculated during fixation. Results: In the light, the horizontal and vertical eye movements exhibited an alternating sequence of a slow drift and resetting microsaccades, as previously reported. The torsional eye movements, however, showed no such drifts and resetting. In the dark, the horizontal and vertical eye movements exhibited about 2–3 times larger value of the standard deviation than that in the light. In contrast to this, the difference in the standard deviation between the light and dark was not so prominent in case of the torsional eye movement as compared to those of horizontal and vertical. Conclusion: These results support the idea that information from the peripheral retina does not significantly influence the feed back system for fixating the target in the light.
(Emphasis mine)

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsaccade:1xwjaj2n said:
Microsaccade[/url]":1xwjaj2n]

...Current research in visual neuroscience and psychophysics is investigating how microsaccades relate to fixation correction, control of binocular fixation disparity and attentional shifts. Recent research has found a direct correlation between illusory motion and microsaccades....
(Emphasis Mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts