odd sighting for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasonpply

<p>2 nights ago as i was away at my cottage I observed a odd object through my little beginner 3" reflector telescope. I was just wondering if someone might be able to say what it was i may have seen. what i was viewing was moving really fast i mean really really fast. no slow motion tracking for what ever it was. I was using my 12.5mm lens with no doubler. the object was about the same magnitude of most of the stars in my field of view but at such a small aperature and magnification it was hard to make out details but looked like there was no tail tracked it from a southeast to&nbsp;northeast direction nearly straight up for about&nbsp;10 mins maybe less before i decided to see if i could see it naked eye and lost it. by that time it had nearly crossed 4 fist widths of the sky (40 degrees i think) even if i never know what it was, wow it was fun following it lol. oh yeah if this helps i am located in nova scotia canada and it was about 10 pm give or take an hour. any and all suggestions are welcome ty.</p>

D

deapfreeze

Maybe a satellite, or meteor.. It could be the aliens. They are comming by October 14th according to a video I saw on Youtube.. lol <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#0000ff"><em>William ( deapfreeze ) Hooper</em></font></p><p><font size="1">http://deapfreeze-amateur-astronomy.tk/</font></p><p> </p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>2 nights ago as i was away at my cottage I observed a odd object through my little beginner 3" reflector telescope. I was just wondering if someone might be able to say what it was i may have seen. what i was viewing was moving really fast i mean really really fast. no slow motion tracking for what ever it was. I was using my 12.5mm lens with no doubler. the object was about the same magnitude of most of the stars in my field of view but at such a small aperature and magnification it was hard to make out details but looked like there was no tail tracked it from a southeast to&nbsp;northeast direction nearly straight up for about&nbsp;10 mins maybe less before i decided to see if i could see it naked eye and lost it. by that time it had nearly crossed 4 fist widths of the sky (40 degrees i think) even if i never know what it was, wow it was fun following it lol. oh yeah if this helps i am located in nova scotia canada and it was about 10 pm give or take an hour. any and all suggestions are welcome ty. <br />Posted by jasonpply</DIV></p><p>Sounds like a satellite for sure. They come in many different brightesses and speeds. The brightness depends on size and reflectivity of the satellite, distance from the observer, and sun angle. Speed is related to the orbital height; lower orbits move faster across the sky.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

Mee_n_Mac

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>2 nights ago as i was away at my cottage I observed a odd object through my little beginner 3" reflector telescope. I was just wondering if someone might be able to say what it was i may have seen. what i was viewing was moving really fast i mean really really fast. no slow motion tracking for what ever it was. I was using my 12.5mm lens with no doubler. the object was about the same magnitude of most of the stars in my field of view but at such a small aperature and magnification it was hard to make out details but looked like there was no tail tracked it from a southeast to&nbsp;northeast direction nearly straight up for about&nbsp;10 mins maybe less before i decided to see if i could see it naked eye and lost it. by that time it had nearly crossed 4 fist widths of the sky (40 degrees i think) even if i never know what it was, wow it was fun following it lol. oh yeah if this helps i am located in nova scotia canada and it was about 10 pm give or take an hour. any and all suggestions are welcome ty. <br />Posted by <strong>jasonpply</strong></DIV><br /><br />I'm going with MW on this one. Did you check at </p><p>http://www.heavens-above.com/</p><p>to see if a satellite was making a pass about the time of your sighting ?</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>-----------------------------------------------------</p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask not what your Forum Software can do do on you,</font></p><p><font color="#ff0000">Ask it to, please for the love of all that's Holy, <strong>STOP</strong> !</font></p> </div>

J

jasonpply

ty i had assumed it was a satelite cuz i dont think asteroids move that fast nor comets for that matter thanks again

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>ty i had assumed it was a satelite cuz i dont think asteroids move that fast nor comets for that matter thanks again <br />Posted by jasonpply</DIV><br /><br />Check out the heavens-above page linked to above by m_n_m. It's a good wource to identify many of the satellites you can see. This time of year, they tend to be visible in the few hours after sunset and before sunrise. During the summer, they can be seen all night long.</p><p>Yes it is rare that asteroids or comets motion can be seen across the sky. The last comet I recall where you could actually see it move (although VERY slowly) was Hyakutake. There was an asteroid about 6 months ago where you might have been able to see the motion if it had been bright enough. But&nbsp;an asteroid&nbsp;has to be much closer than the moon to see any motion.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts