One more question: Lunar conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bassmaster

Hey,<br /><br />The next question I have on the same 25-question assignment (I finished the other 23 so believe me I'm not here just to steal your answers) says:<br /><br />"Describe how conditions on or within the Moon have changed from the time that Herodotus and Schroter's Valley formed to the time which Aristarchus formed."<br /><br />How have lunar conditions changed? And I only know that Aristarchus formed 450 million years ago, but about Schroter's Valley/Herodotus?

M

MeteorWayne

I have no clue.<br /><br />I'll keep it in mind as I look through all the images, though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

D

docm

Schroter's Valley formed due to faulting when the Aristarchus plateau uplifted ~4 billion years ago. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

Lunar and Planitary Institute article....<br /><br />LPI home page....<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>><br /><b>Examples of Apollo 15 Metric Photography</b><br /><br />This oblique photograph looks south across the Aristarchus plateau. There are two prominent impact craters in the photograph. On the left is Aristarchus, 40 kilometers in diameter, and on the right is Herodotus, 35 kilometers in diameter. In the center of the photograph, between the two craters, is a feature known as Cobra's Head. Beginning at Cobra's Head, the sinuous valley that snakes its way to the right is Schroter's Valley. <b><font color="yellow">Schroter's Valley, which is typically 8 to 10 kilometers wide and more than 150 kilometers long, most likely formed due to faulting when the Aristarchus Plateau was uplifted nearly 4 billion years ago.</font></b><br /> /><p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Schroter's Valley is a lava tube, like Hadley Rille, is it not?<br /><br />As far as I understand it, the Aristarchus Plateau formed from rising magma under at the time the thin lunar crust & that the Schroter's Valley was a lava outflow.<br /><br />The time scale of 4 GYA would sound about right for this event.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

N

nexium

The moon has likely had only minor changes in the last 450 million years.<br />Four billion years ago the density was likely lower, diameter a bit larger, there was lots more atmosphere (but perhaps less than Mars) The core and mantel were likely hot, with volcanoes erupting. Neil

M

MeteorWayne

Why would the diameter have been larger? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

N

nexium

I assumed the interior of the moon would continue to compress = compact for millions of years after the mass had stopped increasing significantly. Then there would be a period of shrinking as the interior cooled. So the diameter would shrink a bit. Neil

A

alokmohan

But initial conditions have changed alot.They say therewere five moons in the past.Our moon may be a latecomer.

S

search

<font color="yellow">"Describe how conditions on or within the Moon have changed from the time that Herodotus and Schroter's Valley formed to the time which Aristarchus formed." <br /><br />How have lunar conditions changed? And I only know that Aristarchus formed 450 million years ago, but about Schroter's Valley/Herodotus?</font><br /><br />It is a trick question since the moon did not change in 4 billion years. The answer most probably: Nothing changed (except for the meteor impact craters) since there is no geological activity in the moon since then.

M

MeteorWayne

alokmohan.<br />Who says that? WHo is "they"? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

N

nexium

4 tiny moons which Earth had temporarily over the past 4 billion years may be a reasonable guess. Even two large moons the past 4 billion years is unlikely. Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts