orbiting objects question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark99m

I have seen a pair of objects several times that are orbiting the earth in a parallel orbit traveling at the same speed and very close to each. They are visible by binocular and very visible with my gen3 night vision. Does anyone know what these are?

thanks - mark

A

a_lost_packet_

I would assume more exacting information would be necessary to determine what they could be.

When you say "parallel" what do you mean? What part of the sky are they observed? What's your general location?

Could it be possible you viewed the shuttle and ISS during one of their orbits?

M

MeteorWayne

Often a satellite and the rocket that launched it will be on parallel paths. In addition, there are so many satellites in orbit that it's not uncommon for random sats to be close, with polar and equatorial orbits being the most populated; for example at my location there are 75-90 satellies easily visible from dunk to dawn at this time of year, over 8 an hour on average. Last week in 1 hour I observed 14. Finally there are 2 sets of satellites called NOSS that do orbit in formation.

Go here:
http://heavens-above.com/
Select your location, and click on "satellites brighter than 4.5 to get a list for your sky.

MW

M

mark99m

Thanks, I am betting on the in formation orbit you mention. The lauch rocket is interesting idea also but wouldn't they be traveling at different enough speeds after separation to be far apart relatively quickly? From memory, I believe I was watching a south to north orbit. one was slightly trailing and just slightly off the same path meaning if the leading one traveled directly under a visible star the second one would miss it slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts