Our Future has Just Begun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonFontaine

We landed on the moon 40 years ago today. Now - in a little over a month - the Augustine Report will lead us into our new direction for manned space flight. The time for preparation is over. Tomorrow is today.

You cannot have prosperity without risk. Without challenge, there is no reward. All the technology we have today - all the advancements come from this challenge.

There is a chance it could be cut. Wiped out. The money saved will be roughly one dollar on your tax sheets. Yep - that's how much this advancement costs you. A little less than a dollar. And, the next time you fire up that ole' Black & Decker cordless drill - think of all we will miss in the years to come. For those who wish to cut this industry - let us also remove the Best Buy's - the internet - the cell phone and other devices that lead us into the realm of possibility. For those who wish to privatize this industry - let us also remember that this quest will never rely on pure profit. Profit never exceeds the imagination - and this is the fundamental flaw with this hypothesis.

As long as their are those who can imagine - there will always be a need for the space program. Otherwise - it's just a big, empty sky. And, we've seen enough by now to know there are millions upon millions of suns like our own with planets orbiting around in a quiet eloquence. We find tantalizing clues of water on Mars - we see it rain on the tiny moon Titan - methane, of course! -and we can sit and imagine what it might have become. And where we are going. Where will we go? As far as the imagination will take us.

Let us dream...for not one Nation on this tiny Earth - not one human soul ever accomplished anything without dreams. From the moment we were born we dreamt to have the wings of a bird. I say, "let us fly." And may we safely take our imaginations beyond our wildest dreams.

From one humble, insignificant soul who has more dreams than stars in the solar system - I say 40 years ago today, our dreams have just begun!

J

JasonFontaine

"IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO TODAY!"

I must remember to TURN OFF the Beatles while I'm posting.....not thinking clearly! :)

Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts