pedal power on Moon or mars

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bushuser

OK, how about a solar-powered tricycle, with electric rear drive, pedal power on the front for assistance in climbing hills or in shadows? Thus, exertion and cooling load is reduced. The extra mass of drive motors will help lower the center of gravity further

M

mousebot

Human powered rovers may become a novel form of transport for tourists and workers in their off hours but I imagine anyone going to do serious work or long distance exploration would not like to peddle their way there. Certainly if there is a 50% chance of solar flares that day.

Q

quasar2

i envision this as an extension of a larger, powered rover. there would be a small airlock on it connecting the two. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

quasar2

here we go: <br /> <br />"They're working in classrooms, garages and shops all across the country -- and beyond -- inspired by past space explorers and future space missions. They're trying to figure out the best way to design, build and race a human-powered buggy capable of traveling around a half-mile track on Earth. <br /><br />These high school and college students are preparing for NASA's 12th Annual Great Moonbuggy Race in Huntsville, Ala., April 8-9. Seventy-two teams from 20 states, Puerto Rico and Germany will take on a course that will test not only their physical endurance, but the reliability and strength of the moonbuggies. In 2004, 55 teams from 18 states and Puerto Rico participated in the competition. <br /><br />The Moonbuggy challenge is to design a human-powered vehicle no more than 4-feet high, 4-feet long and 4-feet wide and light enough for its two drivers to carry. Buggies, unassembled prior to the race, must be quickly assembled on race day by two operators -- one male, one female. Those drivers must power and drive the vehicle against the clock, over a half-mile obstacle course of simulated moonscape terrain at the U.S. & Rocket Center in Huntsville. <br /><br />The high-school and college teams participating in the Great Moonbuggy competition gain invaluable experience that could qualify them to become the nation's next generation of astronauts, designers, engineers and scientists. They could be contributing to the goals of the Vision for Space Exploration which includes returning the Space Shuttle to flight, completing the International Space Station, traveling to the Moon, Mars and beyond. <br /><br />But it's more than just a race. It's the continuation of a challenge faced and conquered more than 40 years ago by the NASA team which designed Lunar Rovers -- vehicles that were compact, durable and able to handle the rigors of the tough, unflinching environment of the Moon. Astronauts used separate Lunar Rovers on the final three Moon missions <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mousebot

Well you seem to want suited workers to use this vehicle and yet you go through the trouble of creating another enclosed spacecraft of sorts. Why not just store it on the outside of the primary rover? That seems best if you envision some kind of mothership with radiation shielding that goes on long trips across the lunar surface. Another point is that there are many motions other than the bicycle available that would be more suitable to someone in a space suit. In the age of the exercise club or whatever it's called these days every manner of torture device has been devised...a stair stepper or an elliptical may be better for a suited explorer powering a rover, it's worth looking at.

Q

quasar2

i think on one of the artemis links was an idea to have treadle action as opposed to cyclic. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Q

quasar2

i haven`t followed every year of the race, so there must be some interesting ideas. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

mousebot

My thoughts are along the lines of a small open two seat design. Occupants push pedals like pistons...it would be a little like those paddle boats you see on water fronts all the time except for the pedals.

Q

quasar2

i`ve wrestled w/ that idea too. i think i need to email NASA though doubt i`ll get reply. i`ve been looking for this modular, larger moonsuit which can be plugged into various other artifacts using similar miniature airlocks i mentioned. this was an article in popular science or mechanics some yrs ago. i`ve found a text description yet no pix. i`ll see if i can dig `er up now i`ve learned copy & paste. a larger suit would allow more ventilation. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts