Permanent Orbit? (TIME CAPSULE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bdaunno

Maybe it's very simple, but is there a way that we as humans could put an object in permanent (unaided) orbit around earth?<br /><br />I'm asking because I think it would be a good idea to put some form of time capsule in permanent orbit around earth, just in case anything ever should destroy our civilization, (nuclear war, asteroid, etc.) It would be like leaving a little present behind for when the next intelligent species evolves on this planet.<br /><br />I would not consider the moon really because, while this would be their first place of exploration, it also can be destroyed by an asteriod or whatever.<br /><br />A time capsule would be very interesting, and contain things like videos of our culture, and maybe even preserved DNA samples for cloning?? The history of the earth as we know it?<br /><br />Imagine if there had already been an intelligent species on this planet that died out with the dinosaurs ... A time capsule would be a nice thing to find.

N

newtonian

bdaunno - See my thread on why man-made orbits are less stable than some God created (notably the moon, as you note.)<br /><br />What about a LaGrange point?<br /><br />A true time capsule would be our TV, radio, microwave, etc. broadcasts which are travelling though space and time as we speak.<br /><br />As I remember from my thread, one reason human created satellites are less stable is that they do not use tidal interactions like our moon (and earth) does.<br /><br />Is there some way of duplicating, on a small scale, the causes for stablity of orbit utilized in the creation of our earth and moon?<br /><br />Compare biomimetics where we have learned much from created life forms and have come close to duplicating some very ingenious designs.

S

SpeedFreek

This is the link that Newtonian was referring to.<br /><br />I just read it all and it doesn't prove man made orbits are more unstable than <i> natural </i> orbits. Any natural object the same size and shape as an object man made would act in the same way. If we somehow built a moon and injected it into an orbit around a planet like Earth going around a star like the Sun in a solar system like ours, it's orbit would be just as stable as our moon.<br /><br />As for a permanent orbit - there isn't one. All orbits change over time, all rotations eventually slow. It all depends on how long the time capsule has to stay there. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000">_______________________________________________<br /></font><font size="2"><em>SpeedFreek</em></font> </p> </div>

Q

qso1

Put it in geosynchronous orbit and it will remain for centuries and surely someone will want to bring it down or service it on orbit 2 or 3 centuries from now to prevent any degradation arising from instability. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

V

vandivx

that is damn good idea I say<br /><br />few days ago I posted here about ETs landing here some hundred millions yrs back and that we might be their primitive descendants or else they might have lived here for millions of years before somehow they met their end or there might have been indigenous high developed culture hundreds of millions years ago and we wouldn't know it unless they made some such capsule<br /><br />I don't think orbiting satelite would do, not the usual orbit anyway, maybe if it was orbititing farther than moon... but I would place the time capsule on Moon and on Mars, after all Mars didn't change much over hundreds of millions of years and we would not be looking at time scale like 600 millions years + that it took for life to develop but more like 'mere' millions of years because even full wipeout would still leave lots of low order life plus Earth would regenerate from any disaster that didn't break it completely quite fast<br /><br />vanDivX <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

search

Hello b.<br /><br />KEO will be lauched in 2007 or 2008 and it will be a time capsulle.<br /><br />And you can write your own message that will be in space, check this sdc link <br /><br /> Pioneer 10 and Pioneer11 spacecrafts both contain a plaque with a message . Check also this link <br /><br />Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 also contain message: http://www.astrobio.net/news/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=255<br /><br />In any case if earth would be destroyed because of insanity of human race (war, pollution) I really hope we do not leave behind any present to other ones. Nobody would deserve such "present"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts